Introducing ~ Vanessa

on June 7 | in Contributors | by | with 18 Comments

Vanessa stays busy with her two young children and lots of creative projects. At any given time she might be sewing, painting, designing or knitting and she often juggles all of her passions at once! Learn a little more about Vanessa at Punkin Patterns, and look for her eco-friendly Punkin Patterns Etsy shop in the next week or so full of bags, totes, clutches and patterns. Her shop will be eco-friendly (totally recyclable and/or compostable packaging materials, a paperless company, using only wind energy for all of her electricity needs, with many items for sale made from upcycled materials. Take a look around Punkin Patterns (you might enjoy her extensive tutorials section), and then come back for Vanessa’s Insulated Picnic Tote tutorial coming up next.

From Vanessa: Hi, I’m Vanessa of Punkin Patterns. If you have a chance, stop by my blog and say hi. I’m so thrilled to be sharing a project with you today. I’m a stay-at-home mom of two little kids who keep me busy, but are constantly inspiring me. I love to sew, design, quilt, knit and paint. I’m always working on at least 5 projects and I’ve always got a long list of ideas that are just waiting to be created. (Don’t we all?!)

My formal education is actually in chemistry. I have a Ph.D. in chemistry, specializing in the area of quantum mechanics and Feynman path integrals. So how did I end up with a sewing/crafting blog? Well, I’ve always been sewing, crafting and painting. My mother taught me how to sew and embroider when I was very young. My grandmother taught me how to crochet and knit (although I’ve only kept up with the knitting). Most of what I know is from reading and just doing it! I guess I’ve been sewing and crafting ever since I was young, just sometimes it’s in the background. Now that I’m a stay-at-home mom, it’s front and center in my life and I’m loving it!

18 Responses to Introducing ~ Vanessa

1. Hi, The holiday vacation summer time out soon I’m talking about the following month time to acquire some Travelocity Promotion Code With thanks!

2. Beth T says:

Welcome, Vanessa!

3. Eleonora says:

I visited your blog…I found a lot of interesting funny works!but..I’m not very good at sewing,I learned only few months ago!and I have little spare time,I work as engineer.but…I hope to improve my skill in sewing visiting blog as Vanessa’s one!and SMS!

4. Christine says:

I love the little pouch and gift card for teachers. The tutorials were great.

5. Temima says:

Vanessa – love your dresser makeover! such a cool idea with the color photocopies!

6. Crafting I understand but what the heck is your Doctorate in? No, wait, please don’t tell me. I’m quite sure it will make my English major brain ache and make my allergy to numbers flare up!

Welcome to Sew, Mama, Sew! Can’t wait to see what you concoct for us.

7. Deborah in Atlanta says:

She has a Ph.D. in chemistry, specializing in the area of quantum mechanics and Feynman path integrals? I don’t even know what the heck that means! Holy cow!!!! How I envy this young whippersnapper – she’s a stay-at-home mom with two little kids. Holy moly! She must really be Super Woman!

8. I learned sewing and hand embroidery from Mom, crocheting from grandma, and making log cabin quilt blocks from a great-aunt. It’s a family affair.

9. VickiT says:

Welcome Vanessa. You sound like a busy Mom. You’re so lucky to know how to knit and do all the other projects. I never learned to knit and had a limited teaching with crochet while I was young and all that I’ve forgotten now.

10. Anne Marie says:

Wow what a talented gal.

11. Sara says:

Great to be introduced to you, Vanessa! I just checked out your blog and am going to use your ruffled headband tutorial to make headbands to match 2 flowergirl dresses I am making. That’s so much for sharing and inspiring!

12. Robyn G says:

Hi Vanessa!

13. Amy G. says:

What cute ideas on Punkin Patterns!

14. N. Perez says:

Wow! How inspiring to the crafter out there to see someone with a Ph.D in chemistry spending here time sewing and crafting :)

15. Hurray for crafty scientists!!! I think that your life sounds fantastic :)

16. Hi Vanessa! Thanks for the tutorial. Good timing. :)

17. Sarah McGrath says:

Ah, another scientist crafter!

18. Katrina H says:

Wow! I’m going to have to go take a look at her patterns…