Update–Yardage and Flickr Group for Block of the Month

on July 22 | in Sew-Alongs | by | with 6 Comments

A few people have asked about total yardage for all 12 of the Modern Blocks of the Month. If you want to follow along and make all 12 blocks in the same fabrics, here is what Alissa recommends, noting that you’ll probably have a lot left over, but you’ll have room for mistakes and for improvisational piecing. (Not all blocks are designed yet, so we can’t be exact.)

• 2 yards each of 3 different fabrics (solid or print)
  • 3 yards of one background fabric

Also, please join the Modern BOM pool on Flickr where you can post your photos and discuss the various blocks. We want to see your progress!

6 Responses to Update–Yardage and Flickr Group for Block of the Month

1. Robin E. says:

Thank you, very much. My daughter and I will have to go shopping this next week to pick our fabrics.

2. Anya says:

9 total yards for 12 12-inch blocks? Sounds like there will be plenty left over for borders, backing, and binding!

3. Christine says:

I’m still trying to figure out what fabrics I’m going to use. I seem to have a lot of orange and a lot of cowboy fabric. I could actually make two quilts! Or be reasonable and just try one. This is going to be intersting.

4. Renee says:

I am so looking forward to making my first block, just starting some cutting today. Can’t wait to see everyone else’s pics in the Flickr group. I am a newbie quilter so this is hopefully going to be a fun way of learning.

5. Alissa says:

Hi Katy,

The white fabric is the background fabric. Hope that helps!

Alissa

6. Katy says:

Please excuse the newbie question, but in your block are you counting white as the background fabric, or are you counting it as one of the ‘2 yards each of 4 different fabrics’?