Easy Knit Book Covers ~ Tutorial

on August 30 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 34 Comments

Teresa VanHatten-Granath from the Green Bag Lady shares an easy Knit Book Cover tutorial to help with all of those Back to School supply lists. Teresa writes, “My kids came home from the first day of school needing book covers. My first grader required a whopping 12 of them. I went to my local Walgreens, but they were $3.99/piece. Yikes! Instead of looking elsewhere I decided to try and make them from knit fabric. They turned out GREAT, work WELL and were so EASY to make! The best part is that they can be washed and reused from year to year. You can even make them from an old t-shirt!”

Download your Knit Book Cover PDF pattern today. Teresa is also offering a giveaway in conjunction with the tutorial on her blog. Head over to win knits, lunch totes and Green Bag Lady bags!

34 Responses to Easy Knit Book Covers ~ Tutorial

1. Viola says:

Great post. Has anyone tried the reusable lunch bags? I have found some great prices on the http://www.greenostrich.com website. Do they really work well in lunches?

2. Oh my heck, I can’t believe they would even let this cat out of the bag. If you’re into WoW, you have got to check this out. It’s a game changer!!!!

3. Wow. Check this out.

4. Gina F says:

buckled down and made one for my dd today. Orginally had it covered in brown paper back and after 2 weeks of school, it was already looking icky. I made my 1st cover with a knit that kept rolling under, and once I got it on the book it was too stretchy showing the books cover, so I made a 2nd one out of a poly knit and that one turned out great. I see more in my future with 3 dd’s. Thanks for the great instructions.

5. A very helpfull post – A big thank you I hope you dont mind me writting about this article on my blog I will also leave a linkback Thank youSo before we determine whether you need internet marketing software you should develop and understand your website marketing plan to get a specific idea of which kind of internet marketing services software would really be advantageous for your requirements. You need to first develop an online marketing strategy and then find the appropriate niche or market, preferably one which you happen to be passionate about and target this group. When you finally figure out what the solution would be to their needs you would then create a keyword optimized website. One other option for developing a presence on the web is to get started on a blog. WordPress.com offers free blogs. You would need to get yourself a domain name and find a hosting service should you not want WordPress to host it. Building content is very important because it provides your internet site with value not just to consumers but additionally to the search engines like Google. Researching keyword phrases and creating the information takes a great deal of time. You must continually generate content while also finding strategies to promote your site to get more and more traffic. Internet marketing services software will assist you to automate some of these frustrating tasks: autoresponders, keyword research tools, sales letter writers, forum managing software, ad tracking software & link-building software.

6. FDA says:

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Excellent work!

7. Thanks to everyone for the great response. I’m so glad this tutorial will be handy for all of you! And to Robin E. I kept thinking while I was making them, “Why didn’t I think of this YEARS ago?”

8. To Roubarbe–

I would love to see photos of your book covers and will even post them on Green Bag Lady. You can email me at:

greenbagladyteresa(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks! Teresa

9. Roubarbe says:

Wow! I saw this tutorial just in time to make my kids’ bookcovers. I used all their old favourite t-shirts and some moms even asked me to make their kids’ covers too! What a clever idea, thanks! Is it possible to show you the results by sending you some pictures?

10. Do you have a Facebook page? I tried searching but couldn’t find one :-( I would love to become a fan!

11. Tanya says:

Thank you for this. Thank you thank you thank you. It is also perfectly timed, since I really *hate* those old, stained, polyester covers we’ve been using. :-)

12. Sarah says:

I am definitely going to be doing this. Not that I have children who need books covered… just for me.

13. Lizzie says:

How I wish I had book covers this cool when I was in school! These are amazing!

14. Milk & Cookie Party says:

I’ve been making these for my kids for a couple of years. Instead of knit I use heavy cotton- that I have a lot of around the house. They look great and cheery and uniquely their’s.

15. Brenda says:

These will hold up much better than the brown paper bag covers I made as a kid.

16. Joy S says:

I have a set of old tshirt sheets with some holes that would be perfect as bookcovers! Thank you!

17. Melissa says:

Thank you so much for the clever idea and clear instructions. I helped my daughter clean out her drawers today in order to make room for new school clothes and she was delighted that I had a fun way to use her old volleyball shirts.

18. great! I will try this soon!

19. Suzanne says:

Made from an old T-shirt! What an incredible idea for the ones that are too special to get rid of but just don’t fit any more.

20. Robin E. says:

This is so simple, but soooo perfect. Why didn’t I think of it?!?!? Thank you for sharing. (off to pick a knit for a book cover for the composition book I use for sermon notes)

21. To Jeanne–

Thanks for the comment. You could make them as loose as you need too. The one that I made from the old t-shirt was much looser than the ones from new knit fabric. I’m sure it was because it has been washed many times and has lost some of its stretchiness.

I hope the students will make some!

To everyone else that commented, THANKS, you are all so sweet! :)

Green Bag Lady Teresa

22. Katrina H says:

What a cute idea, I love green bag lady!

23. Jeanne says:

I love this idea for bookcovers. I am a school librarian who is in charge of textbook checkout. I encourage all students to have bookcovers on all their textbooks. This is a great idea. I would suggest that you do not make them to tight or it will destroy the binding. We don’t allow students to use the store-bought stretchy ones for that reason. Paper grocery sacks work well, too.

24. Great book cover, the pattern is really nice looked really appealing for kids. It’s a handmade knit book cover, you can have your own style making such great cover. Sure would be a great find for those who loves making craft.

25. becky says:

love the book covers! we use these for our composition books so we can re-use them.

26. I enjoy coming back daily to see your writings. I have your page bookmarked on my favorite read list!

27. Alli says:

I love that shark fabric!

28. Cat says:

Thanks for the tutorial!!!!

29. Angie says:

What a fabulous, quick and easy cover! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

30. Great!

31. Thanks Sew Mama Sew, we hope lots of folks opt for handmade book covers this year!

32. Green Bag Lady ROCKS!!!

33. Heather says:

Why did I not think of this earlier? I have so many knits in my stash. And my kids need these and I don’t like the ones at the store. Thank you!

34. Karen LePage says: