Sewing Trends ~ What We’re Sewing

on September 19 | in Sewing Inspiration, Sewing Trends | by | with 30 Comments

Melanie from A Sewing Journal is back with this month’s really beautiful snapshot of recent sewing trends. You’ll want to stitch up a new dress and add a zig or zag to your next project after you take a look at Melanie’s finds. You can learn more about Melanie on her blog, A Sewing Journal, via Twitter and on Facebook.

Join me as I look at some of the wonderful sewing projects I’ve found from around the handmade community. I love to peruse Flickr, Pinterest and blogs to see what you are making!

Zig zag quilts! Zig zags are popular everywhere and we’ve seen them in quilts for years now. Clockwise from top left: Ziggy Puff Quilt (pattern, kit and/or finished quilt) by Honeybear Lane, vintage quilt from the Pomeroy Living History Farm’s 13th Annual Quilt Festival that served as the inspiration to Monica Solorio-Snow’s Super Zig quilt, Super Zig (free pattern) by Monica Solorio-Snow (Happy Zombie) using her Happy Mochi Yum Yum fabric collection, Quilted Chevron Bedscarf Tutorial by Jessica of Sew Homegrown for Sew,Mama,Sew!, Zig Zag quilt crumpled by Lily Boot, dogs and quilts by That girl…That quilt (more about the quilt can be found here: Bliss {is a finshed quilt}).

Beautiful, berry colors are showing up in fall sewing. Clockwise from top left: Ogee Quilt Version 2 by Pickle Dish, Very Berry Quilt by needles and lemons, Ruffle Leggings by Soduel, Scrappy Journal by Stitched in Color, Simple Children’s Scarf Tutorial by Maureen Cracknell Handmade.

French knots can make quite an impression as a main design element of embroidery. Clockwise from top left: home by PataPri, French Knot Color Progression Piece by Sometimes I Swirl, Dapple Dots with French Knots pillow by Thomas Knauer for Fat Quarterly’s Shades of Grey Scrap Challenge, French Knot Flower Garden by minna.s.

Last month I noted in my column the emergence of orange in many fabric collections. This month I’m noticing a direction orange is taking, that of being paired with blue, as evidenced by these vastly different (in design) fabrics that use an orange and blue palette. Clockwise from top left: Paisley Amber from Heirloom by Joel Dewberry, Garden Blue from I Heart by Rashida Coleman Hale, House and Garden Edo from Misaki by Melissa White, Heron from Across The Pond by Michelle Engel Bencsko, Wildflower Field Blue from Far Far Away III by Heather Ross, Candy Blue from Happy Mochi Yum Yum by Monica Solorio-Snow.

Peter Pan Collars, as seen in these pieces made from the Violet Blouse by Colette Patterns, the Miz Moselle Dress by Jamie Christina and the Little Vicki Dress by Izzy and Ivy. Clockwise from top left: The Violet Blouse by Spool, Miz Mozelle in Nani Iro Knit by Lempo Bee, Making a Miz Mozelle dress by Flossie Teacakes, Little Vicki by simplybeu, Little Vicki Pattern Review by Destri of The Mother Huddle, My First Miz Mozelle by Lempo Bee, Violet Blouse by Needles and Haystacks.

30 Responses to Sewing Trends ~ What We’re Sewing

1. Beth T says:

Around our house, dogs and quilts is an ongoing theme. At last, I’m in with the in crowd. :)

2. Jane says:

Zig Zag quilt crumpled- great idea, will get started now.
    I know someone who will love this as a present.

3. Esther says:

How gorgeous are those two berry quilts and I am in awe of those french knots, just wouldn’t have the patience to do so many :)

4. I have never seen french knot work. It looks awesome. Zigzag quilting looks amazing. Thanks for the pictures.

5. happy zombie says:

I love Melanie’s posts so much! And that I’m mentioned… that’s gravy on top of a mashed potato sundae! So I’m sitting here, reading… then learning… then discovering – because I sit here reading, in my jammies, that I made, that I put a Peter Pan collar on to… that holy schmokes… I’m actually IN FASHION for once! Felling like queen for a day. Until I shower and get dressed, that is.

6. Katrina H says:

I really love the color pallets you did, something for everyone. Those berry photos look like so much fun!

7. Cat says:

The french knots are super cool. I have a project they will be perfect for!

8. Kimberly says:

I love the French knots. I will have to try those out soon!

9. Fran says:

Love those warm, cozy colors & the French knots….
    & a Zig Zag quilt sounds like a great winter adventure
    ( like the idea of doing one without having to piece any
    triangles too ! )

10. Crunchy Con Mommy says:

I love the berry colors, but the French knot trend makes me glad I’m not actually that worried about being trendy…cause my French knots are terrible! Lol.

11. Allison C says:

I just learned how to make a french knot last night! I didn’t even think about applying it to fabric patterns…thanks for the insight! I’m loving the orange and blue fabrics!

12. Suzanne says:

Peter Pan collars remind me of my elementary school uniforms. I still love them. Thanks for the round up.

13. Christine says:

I love making french knots. Those are so pretty.

14. Ashley says:

I love all the berry and the french knots! I actually just finished a zigzag quilt for my youngest son. Great post!

15. Erika says:

beautiful creations

16. Thanks so much for including my Simple Scarf Tutorial! This post is full of inspiration!!!

17. Florence says:

I love Melanie’s posts – such a treat to have my dress featured in one of them – thank you! I am swooning over the French knots…no amount of practising makes me any better at them!

18. Amy says:

Love the french knot examples…

19. MarciaW says:

Thanks for the snapshot of trends. I too have noticed Peter Pan colors on little girl clothes.

20. What a fun post, Melanie. I like how many different directions you took it. The french knots as a trend were new to me. I’m going to go follow some links now!

21. I love the berry colors coming out lately! And, to my surprise, i’m liking orange. It’s not a color I’m usually drawn to, but somehow I find myself using it. I like it paired with pink or gray!

22. Maya says:

The French nots are wild! I love the color progression piece.

23. Rebecca says:

Glad to see the rise of berry colors! Some of my favorites and they really warm things up as we head into the grayer darker cold months.

24. Asta says:

Nice round-up. I especially liked the french knot ideas.

25. I am all over the French knots. Who knew I was so trendy ;)?

26. Christina says:

So fun! I’ve got to try the French knots! And I’m feeling so stylish with my son’s new baby quilt being a zig zag!

27. mjb says:

Such beautiful projects!

28. Catherine says:

I’ve been seeing zig zags EVERYWHERE, too. :)

I love, love, love french knots. This is my favorite project that I’ve completed with them:

Thanks for sharing! I find these trend posts so interesting.

29. sparrowgrey says:

Awesome post; love the embroidery especially as I’m still trying to master the french knot. This is excellent inspiration.

30. Alethea says:

Love those retro-style Peter Pan collars!