Monica Solorio-Snow of Happy Zombie is back for Part 2 of our Christmas Tree Pants Sew-Along (because not all trees like to wear skirts!). Today’s easy, so let’s see those progress photos in our Christmas Tree Pants Sew-Along Flickr group. Monica will be back next Friday with the final tutorial for this sew-along. Have fun!
Welcome to Day 2 of the Christmas Tree Pants Sew-Along. If you’ve landed here on Day 2 and need to back-track to Day 1 for general info, materials, yardage, cutting and the first steps of assembly instructions, you can do so here.
This week is an easier week. Enjoy a little rest this week, because next week is the work-out week of final assembly.
Part 2: Sashing Assembly:
For assembly visuals, illustration diagrams will be in both red & white and scrappy versions.
1. Place one 1½” star point square atop one corner of the 2½” x 12½” rectangle. Right sides together (RST). Stitch a diagonal line as per diagram.
2. Trim off top corner ¼” from stitch. Discard cut pieces.
3. Flip star point over and press (as per pressing arrow in diagram).
4. Repeat steps 1-3 on opposite corner of the 2½” x 12½” rectangle to complete the unit.
5. Make 12 units. On 4 of the units, repeats steps 1-4 on the other end of the rectangle.
6. For people making a Red and White Version: Do nothing and sit back and enjoy those 12½” white squares you’ve cut out. Scrappy version people: You guys need to stay after school… You have an extra assignment to complete. It’s fast, I promise. We’re actually having a party, and this “extra assignment” is just a story we’ll be telling the red & white people so they’re not envious. Ix-nay on the arty-pay, k. Scrappy People Assignment: Make a 9-patch with your remaining 4½” pieces. Make two 9-patch blocks.
Next week we’ll be putting all our blocks and sashing pieces together, as well as all of our finishing touches.
I’ll be posting my scrappy version pics in the Christmas Tree Pants Sew-Along Flickr group and hope you will too. Note: Be sure to join the group so you’ll be able to see all the photos posted from everyone, as well as be eligible for a chance to win some great prizes. This week you can win a $20 gift certificate to Sew,Mama,Sew!
Comment today for your chance to win a new sewing book! We’ll select two winners from the comments each week. This week YOU can win Quilt a Gift for Little Ones or Inspired to Sew: 15 Pretty Projects, Sewing Secrets, Colorful Collage. For book details see this post, and don’t forget to add your progress photos to our Sew-Along Flickr Pools for more chances to WIN!