It’s time for The Original, the big, the amazing… Giveaway Day! Mark your calendar for Monday, December 12th!
Giveaway Day is a HUGE event we coordinate where everyone with a shop or blog can give something away. This year we listened to your feedback and made some changes. We’re using a link-up system rather than having you submit your giveaway information ahead of time. On Monday, December 12 at 6 a.m. PST you can come here to submit your own link and a thumbnail photo for your giveaway. We’ll share instructions for how to do it (it’s easy) and we’ll be available to answer any questions about the process. In the meantime you can think about which category best suits your giveaway:
- Handmade for the Home (quilts, hot pads, pillows, etc.)
- Handmade Bags
- Handmade Baby + Kid Items
- Sewing Supplies (fabric, patterns, buttons, trims)
- Other Craft Supplies
- Handmade Accessories (hats, scarves, belts, adult clothes, etc.)
Our first Giveaway Days were just that, a Giveaway Day. Over the years it’s grown by leaps and bounds; to give you time to browse through the hundreds of giveaways this time Giveaway Day will last all week, from December 12- December 16. All giveaways must close on December 16 at 5 p.m. PST, and winners should be announced by email no later than Sunday, December 18 (you should also updated your Giveaway Day post to include the winner’s name).
Here’s some background about Giveaway Day, plus tips and info on how to participate:
Why do it?
Participants benefit because a) they get new readers (many participants end up with hundreds of comments & visitors); b) they get potential shoppers/readers; c) they can experience the joy of giving something they’ve made to a virtual friend. Readers benefit because a) they get exposed to blogs with great ideas; b) they are directed to shops with wonderful items; c) they get the opportunity to win a cool handmade prize; d) they know exactly when to tune in!
- Your giveaway item must be either handmade (for example, bags, artwork, etc.), or something that can be used for making handmade gifts (for example, buttons, ribbons, patterns, etc.).
- You need to write a post, including a photo of the giveaway item, and ask visitors to comment on that post.
- Your post must link to a blog. No Facebook or Etsy shop links this time.
- Come here Monday, December 12 at 6 a.m. PST (or later!) to submit your link.
- Decide how you want to choose the winner (random, best answer to a question, etc.).
- State in the post whether you’ll ship the item internationally.
- Leave your giveaway open until December 16 at 5 p.m. PST.
- Email your winner by December 18, and note the winner in the giveaway post.
- Ship your item by December 24.
- Spread the word! Make December 12 Giveaway Day everywhere! Grab our button and link back to this post to let your readers know you’ll be participating. Tweet about Giveaway Day, spread the news on Facebook, write on your blog… http://www.sewmamasew.com/november2011/GiveawayDay.jpg and here is the link url: http://www.sewmamasew.com/2011/11/giveaway-day-december-12/
- Please include a link back to SewMamaSew.com/blog so your readers can enter more giveaways.
- Every Giveaway Day people shout this tip from their virtual rooftops– People do not like it when you require them to become a follower, etc. in order to enter to win your giveaway. Make it easy for people to enter to win your giveaway. Feedback from participants tells us “hoops” like requiring people to Tweet about the giveaway, become a follower, etc., tend to frustrate readers and might make them less likely to visit you again.
- Include a picture of your giveaway. You’ll need one clear photo when you link to our giveaway posts. Take a good photo in natural light, without lots in the background to distract from your item(s). People will decide whether to visit based on the photo, so you want it to be good.
- One bit of feedback we also hear over and over is that people appreciate answering more specific questions when they comment on your post. Rather than just a random comment, consider asking readers to tell you their favorite food, what the view looks like from out their window, a favorite holiday tradition… Something to help people connect in some small way.
- Have fun!
Want to participate? Prepare your giveaway item(s), take a photo, write your post and then link up on Monday, December 12 (starting at 6 a.m. PST). We’ll have separate pages for each of the different categories. Explore other sites and try your luck at winning a great giveaway!