Reflections + Predictions ~ Anneliese

on January 10 | in Interviews + Profiles, Sewing Trends | by | with 26 Comments

Anneliese of Aesthetic Nest started public blogging in mid-2010 and we’ve been wowed by her painting, crochet, parties, sewing and more ever since. (Look at all of those beautiful tutorials on her site side bar!) Anneliese strives to make her blog creative, authentic and inspiring, and we’d say her efforts are a complete success. We especially love seeing the darling, classic clothes she creates for her three daughters. Enjoy Anneliese’s interview in our Reflections + Predictions series, and be sure to join us tomorrow for our final post in the series. Don’t forget: You have until January 15th to tell us what you think for a chance to win one of three gift certificates to Sew,Mama,Sew!

Sew,Mama,Sew!: Looking back at the 2011 sewing scene, what trends stand out in your mind?
Anneliese: I thought it was exciting to see so many creative women embarking on sewing without patterns. Having been taught to sew from patterns from the very start it took me a very long time to improvise. I’m amazed at women teaching themselves to sew from scratch!

Sew,Mama,Sew!: What were some of your favorite things?
Anneliese: I can’t get enough of baby blankets, especially with a bit of texture. And “play” clothes for kids. I need to sew more of those. I get so distracted by dressier things but there is something really satisfying about seeing you child pull something you’ve made from the drawer when they want to be comfortable.

Anneliese’s Chevron Chenille Blanket

Sew,Mama,Sew!: What did you make that you’re most proud of?
Anneliese: A chevron chenille blanket (tutorial here). I took a risk because I didn’t test the theory first and was so relieved it worked!

Sew,Mama,Sew!: What was your favorite fabric collection or print?
Anneliese: The Lauren Child prints for Liberty.

Sew,Mama,Sew!: Do you have a favorite sewing book or pattern from the past year to recommend?
Anneliese: I am afraid I almost exclusively sewed from vintage patterns last year!

Burda Talea Coat Pattern, from the BurdaStyle site.

Sew,Mama,Sew!: What sewn projects have you seen this year that you absolutely love?
Anneliese: I think I’m drawn to things I don’t typically tackle, such as faux leather handbags (like this and this), and tailored wool coats like this Talea.

Faux Leather Handbag tutorial from Sew4Home, sponsored by Fabric.com.

Sew,Mama,Sew!: Are there any trends you’re over and done with?
Anneliese: Bell-shaped ruffle pants for girls. I’m a little tired of the bohemian/peasant look.

Sew,Mama,Sew!: What are your thoughts about social media? How is it going for you? What do you love or hate?
Anneliese: I’m still deciding. I’m wading into it a bit and trying not to feel like it’s another thing to keep up with. I have found that Facebook is an easy way to scan through posts from my favorite blogs. It’s more efficient than I expected it to be.

Sew,Mama,Sew!: What do you predict for 2012?
Anneliese: I get most excited about fabrics so I’m predicting lots more great ones! I love the proliferation of designers! I love quilt fabric manufacturers who are now offering voile and knits and other fun things.

Sew,Mama,Sew!: Are there any bloggers, authors or designers who you think will be rising stars in 2012?
Anneliese: I am sure some of my favorites will continue shining— Dana from MADE, Katy from No Big Dill, Lindsay from The Cottage Mama, and Shannon from luvinthemommyhood— and I can’t wait to see what new stars rise! That’s the amazing thing about the blog world.

Sew,Mama,Sew!: Can you tell us anything about what to expect from you in 2012? Any projects or life-changing goals you can share?
Anneliese: I’ve learned I enjoy sewing my own designs more than other things I sew so I’m going to be doing more of my own patterns. More things inspired by my three girls! I hope to get to at least some of the ideas floating around in my head.

26 Responses to Reflections + Predictions ~ Anneliese

1. Kelsey says:

That chenille blanket is just incredible! I wish I had a baby in my life at the moment to sew one for.

2. Barbara says:

I really want to try making one of those chenille blankets. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. lm says:

I’m looking forward to the patterns! I love the innovation she shows.

4. Shannon says:

I made a small chinille blanket this year with plans to make a larger in the coming. Anneliese’s blog is always so inspiring!

5. robin says:

Love that chevron blanket. :)

6. michelle says:

Nice interview, got me to go to her web site. And now I have two patterns picked out to download and make, ha ha when I have some more time. My daughter loves the purse. So maybe I will get that done before her birthday. Love the baby blankets too.

7. cheri says:

Oh, that Chevron Chenille Blanket is awesome!

8. Jennyroo says:

The chevron chenille blanket is LITERALLY breathtaking. A-MA-ZING!

9. Beth T. says:

Sewing from vintage patterns? The now-retro illustrations make me so happy, until I remember that my childhood is now “vintage”.

10. Dawn says:

Nice interview! Anneliese is a talented lady! I love all chenille and adore the chevron chenille. I have been trying for hours to get to the tute but every time I pull up the page on my computer it freezes. Not having any issues anywhere else so wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems? Thanks! Oh, and I tried starting off at Anneliese’s website and same thing happens. :(

11. Lee says:

I hate to repeat like everyone but the chevron blanket! wow ~

12. Becky Greene says:

The workmanship on these projects is amazing!! Extremely professional!

13. deborah says:

the chevron blanket is incredible. i want one but don’t think i could do it!

i agree about bell-shaped, ruffle pants. yech!

14. Jennie P. says:

Chevron Chenille Blanket, wow, that looked complicated and I love the color.

15. Amy B. says:

The chenielle blanket is gorgeous! Looking forward to making one this year.

16. Gwen Windham says:

I always love to sew for my three girls when they were growing up! It’s been quite a few years since I’ve had a child to sew for, and sewing for grown-ups just isn’t as fun to me.. :-) But, in May, my first grandchild, Clarabel, came into my life and I am so excited to have a little girl to sew for again!! :-) 2011 was a wonderful year! And I’m so looking forward to seeing what 2012 has in store! :-)

17. amorette says:

i would love to see her patterns! this chenille blanket is fantastic!

18. Tara E says:

LOVE the chevron blanket! so cute… now to convince someone to make one for me… not sure i could do it!

19. jeanine says:

love her blog! and that chevron blanket was very cute!

20. Ashton says:

I love the chevron chenille blanket. I think it’s a wonderful idea, I bet it feel just wonderful!

21. Erin says:

I loved both of the chenille blankets she did and hope to make one of them before my girls get too big to enjoy it. I really do like Anneliese’s designs and style. Right up my alley!

22. Bianca says:

great tutorials. definitely going to whip up one of those adorable crochet baby earflap hats. well, i guess 2 since its for my sister’s twins.

23. Sarah McGrath says:

I love that faux leather bag tutorial too.

24. [...] Anneleise: While we were scoping out great tutorials for Handmade Holidays V, we kept coming back to Aesthetic Nest over and over again. We didn’t feature all of Anneliese’s projects, but that’s only because we restrained ourselves. Anneleise has tons of great ideas, writes clear tutorials and has a fabulous, approachable style. We hope we’ll see lots more from her in 2012. [...]

25. Munaiba says:

I really like the chevron chenille blanket. What a clever idea.

26. [...] all of the interviews in the 2011/2012 series: Anneliese, Jacquie Gering, Deborah Moebes, Amy Ellis, Kim Fraser + Stephen Fraser, Katy Jones, Elizabeth [...]