True Love ~ Sweet Little Capelet

on February 28 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 12 Comments

We have more True Love fun today, this time from Elizabeth and Liz, the talented sewists of Simple Simon & Co. Elizabeth and Liz have a talent for creating new, modern looks with vintage flair. They joined us early this year in our Reflections + Predictions series, and they’re back today with this quick, easy and darling tutorial for a Sweet Little Capelet. We think it would be a fun spring look (Easter?!)…

Hi everyone, we are Elizabeth and Liz from Simple Simon & Co. where we love to blog about our sewing adventures, which are mainly vintage inspired and usually for our kids. Other adventures on our blog include searching for the art of homemaking, thrift store adventures and $5 Fridays, where we see what we can make for $5.

We have quite a few tutorials for children’s clothing that we have shared on our tutorials page, and today’s is another one that is a perfect fit of vintage meets modern for your little girl’s Spring Wardrobe.

This lace capelet is made out of some vintage lace that I found at a yard sale for 50 cents for about 3+ yards and the lining is made from some white broadcloth. The tan and yellow capelet is made from some modern quilting fabric that I bought and some yellow linen-blend fabric that was thrifted for the lining.

Another thing I LOVE about this project is that it is a fast one, so you can make a couple of them in an hour. They would also be a perfect gift for any little girl this Spring too!

If you want to make one, you will need to first download and print the pattern. You can find the pattern HERE. It is four pages, you will need to print out all four pages and then tape them together. You will need about a half yard each for the main and lining fabrics and 1 yard of ribbon.

And here is what you will need to do:

One note on the lace capelet, you will need a second lining piece so the ribbons don’t show through under the lace top. So just cut two lining pieces instead of one and sandwich the ribbons between the two lining layers.

Thanks for having us!

12 Responses to True Love ~ Sweet Little Capelet

1. Shelby D, says:

That is so cute i need to make one very nice sewing and directions .Thank you for sharing.

2. Papgena says:

Seems so simple and it looks so beautiful! Thanks for sharing it, I think I’ll be able to try it!

3. Mary says:

Very cute, though, as a child I doubt I would have been able to keep it on for any length of time! Ha!

4. elizabeth says:

Someone emailed about the size of the capelet. Sorry that I spaced putting that in the tutorial ;(

It was made as a “one size fits most” from about a girls size 4 and up to about a girls size 8 or 10 depending on the girl. You could always copy the pattern at 80 percent for a smaller girl and make a muslin to test sizing…thanks!

5. Christine B says:

So cute!

6. Alice says:

That really is so cute! Unfortunate that I don’t know anyone that small :-( maybe a bigger version just for me? if anyone would like some more craftiness, please check out my blog, http://www.pinwheelblog.blogspot.com
    Thanks! :-)

7. Chelsea says:

This would be adorable over an Easter dress!

8. Elizabeth says:

That is so cute! Though I must admit I love the look of the white/yellow patterned dress underneath the crisp white capelet. It looks ready for spring. (Though I doubt I would have been able to keep the white looking white when I was younger!)

9. Cute!

10. Lynn says:

Very cute! I’ve added your blog to my “check it out list”. Nice little cover up for those sleeveless spring dresses. Great project for my little sewers too. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

11. Tammy says: