Fabric Scrap **Sparkle** Eggs

on March 12 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 19 Comments

Last year I posted a few pictures on Facebook of some Easter eggs my kids and I had made using fabric scraps. I had quite a few questions so we decided to do it again this year with a little more detail. This is a super fun project for kids of all ages. This year we improved on our method by making the eggs sparkly!

Supplies:

Mod Podge Sparkle
Did you know Mod Podge comes in a variety of finishes? Gloss, Sparkle, Glitter, Hard Coat, Glow-in-the-Dark and more! (Check out the Mod Podge blog for a description of all the cool formulas.) We really liked the Sparkle formula for this project. (Beware, the sparkles really bind to finger nail polish!)

Foam Brushes
Any kind of brush will work, but I like the foam brushes for spreading evenly and not pushing the fabric around on the egg.

Paper Mache Eggs
You can get these inexpensive cardboard-like eggs at most craft stores. Yes, plastic eggs will work, but I prefer the paper mache eggs for little hands because a) they aren’t going to pop open while you’re working on them and b) the fabric slips around a bit more on the plastic eggs. The plastic eggs are no problem for more dexterous fingers though.

Fabric Scraps
I precut the scraps into small shapes using pinking sheers for a more interesting edge with less fraying.

Brush on some Mod Podge and cover the area with a scrap of fabric.

Overlap each scrap for full coverage. Coat the fabric with more Mod Podge.

Patiently wait for eggs to dry. (approximately 6 hours)

Happy Easter!

19 Responses to Fabric Scrap **Sparkle** Eggs

1. Jane says:

Love this craft! Posted about it here: http://makejanemake.blogspot.ca/2012/04/mosaic-easter-eggs-with-mod-podge.html

Mine are not nearly as pretty as yours though :)

2. Holly says:

This is great! I love it so much I made these with scrapbook paper and you can see the results here if you like:

3. I love the efforts you have put in this, regards for all the great content.

4. Robt Houey says:

Really excellent blog post. When i only came on your weblog in addition to needed to say that have seriously really liked reading your blog articles. In any case I am going to possibly be subscribing on your posts in addition to I really hope people write once again soon enough.

5. LOVE your fabric scraps! What a fun project.

6. Katrina H says:

cute!!!

7. Suni says:

I posted a link to this tutorial on my blog…just too cute not to share. I can’t wait to try these out!

8. Suni says:

I posted a link to this tutorial on my blog. Too cute not to share! Love this!!!

9. Emma says:

Wow FAB idea and I have some fabric perfect for this Moda’s Hideaway in aqua and yellow it’s been in my sewing room some time just little scraps :-) Never heard of Mod podge will have to see if they sell it here in the UK.

10. Heidi Anderson says:

Love this! My kiddo loves anything that involves getting sticky fingers. Thanks for the great idea!

11. Sheryl says:

Love it! I have the perfect fabrics…leftover tiny pieces of bright batiks. Yay!

12. mauri says:

awesome idea! Mostly, I LOVE the fact that you actually have your kiddos diggin in and getting dirty :) Go momma!

13. Beth says:

Sparkle Mod Podge?? That has to be the coolest! Must get to the Hobs Lobs and check that out!

14. Fran says:

Those are beautiful ! Wow….can’t
    wait to give it a try…& yes I have
    quite a bag of tiny scraps too !

15. Jane says:

Love it! I was just about to purge my scrap pile bit too… this will be a nice March break project for me and the kids. Thanks!

16. kathyh says:

Fun project.

17. Those are so cute! My parents have one that goes on their Christmas tree every year that my dad made in elementary school. I’m always shocked it’s survived since the ’40s without breaking (he used a real egg)!

18. Anna says:

We made a similar project for Christmas using clear bulb ornaments – the sparkle Mod Podge is a great touch!

19. Kathleen says:

Sometimes I think I’m crazy for saving the teeniest tinyest fabric scraps . . . not anymore!! What a fun craft! Thank you for sharing :)