It’s time for our Modern Block of the Month with Alissa Haight Carlton from Handmade by Alissa! You can join the sew-along any time (now!) with fabrics of your choice; make one block or all twelve. Every month we share a new design from Alissa, with detailed instructions and digital quilts to show the different effects of multiple blocks. Alissa’s block design for March is an easy one after last month’s more challenging (but totally do-able!) block.
The series was inspired by Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee: The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog & 12 Improvisational Projects, written by Alissa and Kristen Lejnieks. Alissa’s new Modern Minimal: 20 Bold & Graphic Quilts is out now too, full of beautiful, original quilt designs and lots of fantastic quilting suggestions. Do you have your copy yet?!
Modern BOM Information:
- Yardage Information
- July Block
- August Block
- September Block
- October Block
- November Block
- December Block
- January Block
- February Block
After the involved block from last month, I thought I’d give you all a little relief with a nice straight forward and simple to piece block.
Nothing complicated, just a graphic simple block that lends itself to many fun quilt layouts.
Based on fabrics that are 42” wide. One block finishes 12.5” square.
- : (
- ) = 3” width of fabric (WOF ) strip (from this, cut A4 first and then all of the 1.5” wide pieces)
- : (Shot Cotton – Galvanized) = 1.5” WOF strip
- : (
- ) = 2” WOF strip (from this, cut C2 and C5 before cutting 1.5” wide pieces)
- : (Crossweave Blue Blue) = 3.5” x 15.5” scrap or bigger
- A1, A3, A5, A6 = 1.5” x 12.5”
- A2 = 1.5” x 4.5”
- A4 = 3.5” x 3”
- B1, B2 and B3 = 1.5” x 8.5”
- C1, C3, C4, C6 = 1.5” x 8.5”
- C2, C5 = 3.5” x 2”
- D1 = 3.5” x 3”
- D2 = 1.5” x 12.5”
Assembling the Block:
Always use a ¼” seam allowance while piecing.
1. Assemble C1, B2, C3 and C4, B3, C6.
2. Assemble B1 and A2.
3. Assemble portion C1/B2/C3 to C2 and A4.
4. Assemble portion C4/B3/C6 to C5 and D1.
5. Now, working left to right assemble A1, B1/A2, A3, Portion 1, A5, Portion 2, D2 and A6. Your block is complete– Quick and simple!
I put together some digital quilts showing you a number of different layouts with this block:
I also sewed the block up in different fabrics.
The fabrics I used are:
Skinny Stripe Blue ~ Hello Pilgrim
Tonal Gray ~ Pezzy Print
And the digital quilt with this version of the block:
I hope that you have fun with this one!