Sew,Mama,Sew! on Pinterest ~ Our Pledge

on July 22 | in Small Business Ideas | by | with 20 Comments

When Pinterest was new we jumped right in at the recommendation of many of our Twitter friends. Wow, it was awesome! We began Pinning like mad with no real thought to organization, no concern about attribution, and no follow-up on our repins. We just “pinned”, “liked”, and “repinned” furiously.

In the past few months we’ve realized the error of our ways. Our boards were unorganized, we had unattributed Pins that led only to a Tumblr page, a Google search or nothing at all. Many of our Pins were irrelevant to our readers and followers. Plus, we were so disorganized it was getting impossible to find that Pin we were looking for!

Well, I just spent a good part of the weekend deleting, testing and reorganizing our Pinterest boards so they will be useful to us and, I sincerely hope, helpful to you. Since the way we organize our Handmade Holidays posts works so well for us year after year, I decided to follow a similar method of categorization for our boards: Sew It! (women, babies, bags, etc.) Stitch It, Print It, and so on.

SMS Pinterest Boards

I can’t promise that our boards or our Pins are perfect, but I do think they are much better. Throughout the process of reorganizing, I made a commitment to myself to Pin more conscientiously from this point forward and will, in fact, take it one step further and pledge to our Pinterest followers that we will try our best to:

Be Well Organized

We will give our boards intuitive names and try to make sure the Pins on each of those boards belong there. (We still have some work to do.) As our boards grow, it may become necessary to split them up further. For this reason, we strongly encourage you to Follow All our boards and not just a few. We don’t want you to miss anything!

Test Links

Before repinning an image we will click on it to make sure the link goes to the original source, not just a Tumblr page, Google search or a page error.

Provide Attribution

For several months we’ve been adding the name of the blog and/or author of a Pin to the description. We will continue to do this.

Curate Well

If you follow us on Pinterest, we hope that you find our Pins to be relevant, selective and current. It is our goal to Pin quality tutorials, amazing inspiration, and cool products that we think you’d like.

We do hope you’ll join us on Pinterest and if you feel so inclined, that you’ll pledge to be a more conscientious Pinterest user too.

Pinterest Pledge

What do you think? Are these lofty goals? Does it take the fun out of Pinterest? Or, if you think it’s a good idea, let us know!

20 Responses to Sew,Mama,Sew! on Pinterest ~ Our Pledge

1. Kay says:

Well done you!! I have only just joined Pinterest and it is amazing how much time a girl can give to Pinterest. I do need tobe better at checking things out. Thank you for doing it, going straight over to follow you now.

2. Sara says:

I feel like I can quit pinning now because your boards are so great! Now I need to go make a quilt since I’m so inspired!! Thanks.

3. Shasta says:

These are wonderful ideas – I have recently joined pinterest so hopefully I will start off on the right foot.

4. Janice says:

Wow I ally need to take this pledge, but I only pledge things I really will do, and right now my pin boards don’t have a priority status, but I appreciate all of you hard work.

5. kristin says:

oh what a fantastic pledge! i love to go through my pins and make sure they’re linking to the proper place (usually repins are the problem); i can easily spend hours doing that! nice to hear others care and are making the effort too. kudos to you guys!

6. krystina says:

Great idea! I’m always looking for a “pin it” button on your site so I can pin some of my favorite tutorials from here, but it’ll be just as easy to follow you guys on pinterest. Thanks for doign this!

7. Elindranyth says:

I’ve gotten into the habit of liking pins, and then once a week or so going back and pinning the ones that are proper pins. So many people pin incorrectly to start and then it propagates from there. Not only do I not want to be sharing bad links, but when I pin something it’s generally because I want to go back and look at it later. What good does it do anyone to pin page 2 of a blog when the important article is now on page 5 or 20? What good is it to share a pin for a food item on a recipe board that is only a picture, not a recipe?

8. Irelle B says:

I will try to follow your lead! It’s a great idea and I hope I can make it work for me too.

9. Lorrie says:

I love this pledge and just started following all of your boards. Once I get my blog reorganized, maybe Pinterest will be next.

10. Thank you for your initiative and your commitment. May others follow suit!

11. jenn says:

a great idea! Pinning responsibly :)

12. Michelle B says:

I’ve been working on trying to get my boards better organized too!!!

13. Lisa W says:

Great post. I agree. I always make sure when I pin that it does go back to an original source. A good tip that I follow is that if I don’t have time to check the pin I “like” it temporarily. Then when I have time I go back to my “likes” to make sure they are good pins and then I repin them to my boards. I love Pinterest!

14. Angel S. says:

Great ideas–a lesson for all us! I know I need to add more organization to my boards–I think when I started I didn’t realize how much I would come to love having all the ideas and tips I find in one place but my categories are a little broad. I am also particular about checking my pins and their source. I dislike seeing a great idea and then not being able to get more info because the pin leads to a picture or just the blog and not the actual post. Sometimes blogs change or disappear but I try to make sure they are accurate when I pin. Thanks for setting a good example for us all!

15. Suzanne says:

This is spot on! Pins accumulate quickly and good organization and conscientious pinning are imperative.

16. I think it’s a great idea! I look to Pinterest for lots of inspiration! Thanks for being responsible pinners!

17. Hannah says:

Testing links is huge, and thank you so much for doing it! I think another part of testing links is making sure they go to the actual, relevant post on a blog (for example) instead of just to the blog’s main home page. so many people don’t bother to do this!

18. Georgiann says:

I think these are great goals, and I am pinning this immediately, looking over my boards this week and being more consistent in my pin descriptions. I think pinterest is a valuable tool for artists and crafters (and cooks and decorators, etc!), but if everyone took such care, it could be even more so! Thanks.

19. I agree that it is important to list the blog or creator when you pin something. It’s responsible pinning!

20. Tash says:

Love it! Going over to my pinterest account now to check all the links! Nothing more annoying when you see great fonts, a great pattern and the nto be sent to a flickr photo!!!

Tash