Organizing Handmade Holidays ~ Tell us what’s helpful for you! (Poll)

on October 3 | in Polls + Surveys | by | with 13 Comments

November will be our 6th annual Handmade Holidays event! We’re already rounding up dozens of great tutorials to help you make wonderful gifts for everyone on your list.

To refresh your memories, every day in November we post 4 or 5 sewing tutorials, plus a recipe for giftable food, a holiday printable and a favorite product from Etsy.  We have a theme each day to organize everything and make it useful for YOU! Here’s how we’ve done it in the past (with handy links to the master list for each year):

2007: Gift ideas (Aprons, pincushions, tote bags, etc.)

2008: Recipient (Dads, teachers, teens, toddlers, etc.)

2009: Actions (Things the recipient does such as write, frame, celebrate, sleep, etc.)

2010: Recipient (Parents, scholars, foodies, crafters, etc.)

2011: “Passion for” (Interests and hobbies of the recipient such as animals, fitness, nature, photography, etc.)

Take our poll and tell us what’s most helpful to you; if you have a great idea please write it in!

13 Responses to Organizing Handmade Holidays ~ Tell us what’s helpful for you! (Poll)

1. kristi says:

I like the collections– all bags, gifts for specific people or occasions, etc.

2. KeriCan says:

Love the Actions and Passion For organizations. I can easily match a project to a person and then tweak and personalize it for their age or stage.

3. Jen S says:

Thank you for doing this Holiday gift round-up yet again! Each year I bookmark the list for items to make/cook/buy. This series is actually one thing that caught my eye back in 2007 when I first started following SMW Blog.

4. Andrea says:

I also love the idea of organizing by time commitment, and having some “quick and easy” suggestions near the end! Great idea, Natalie!

5. Christina says:

I look forward to this every year!!! I always come away with beautiful handmade gifts for my loved ones. Thank you.

6. Erika says:

I follow tons of blogs I found from the contest last year which is a huge bonus. BUT I had a lot of issues last year with entering contests. It would be great if more people had easier methods such as the rafflecopter forms (enter using Facebook) or just entering using your email address. There were some that only. had entry formats that i didn’t subscribe to so I just skipped those over and obviously don’t follow any of those.

7. carole says:

I too cannot wait! I’d like to see more stuff for my husband and little boy (6). Things with zippers are good – they are so easy to install with a good tutorial and somehow the item feels more ‘finished’, more useful, more solid.

8. Jo says:

While I like the idea of “by recipient,” the problem is that all our mothers are most likely very very different! Going by interest means my bird-loving mom, your bird-loving sister, and their bird-loving uncle get great ideas, while my sports-loving sister and your sports-loving dad get what THEY want!

9. Kate says:

I second Natalie’s comment from above. Maybe a “last minute gift ideas” post(s) for those of us who are a little behind on our holiday plans.

10. Bobby says:

I am so waiting for this! I have been following this for that last 3 years and can not wait for Nov 1st. ;0)

11. Elena says:

Consider adding sewing skill level and time needed to complete any one project in the top level description. Gift creation time is limited!

12. I may have botched my poll entry, so I’ll repeat it here.
    You could organize them in order of complexity. Start with those projects that need the most time, or are most challenging, then gradually add simpler projects as the holidays draw nearer. (Sadly, I seem to procrastinate no matter what, but organized people might appreciate accomplishing more elaborate projects early on in the season, and anyone jumping in at the last minute would find simple and quick gift ideas when time is running out!)

13. kathyh says:

It’s that time of year again!
    Sew Mama Sew organizes this so well.
    Cannot wait.