Front Zip Pouch in Four Sizes

on January 11 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 16 Comments

A couple of months ago Craftsy released my free class, Bag Making Basics: Reversible Tote and Zipper Pouch. I’ve been shocked and honored that nearly 40,000 people have signed up! Aside from a few criticisms of my messy hair (LOL, for real!) and the way I pin my fabric together, people have been very kind and complimentary. If you’ve taken the class and shared your project or commented, thank you!

Nesting Zip Bags

A few people have asked me about resizing the Zipper Pouch, which has been on my to-do list. I have some travel plans in the coming months (including QuiltCon!), so I’ve been meaning to make more pouches for all the things I carry on the plane. I decided to make a travel set using the new fabric line, Stamped, by Ellen Luckett Baker of The Long Thread. I absolutely love this collection, which is printed on a wonderful linen/cotton blend from Kokka. (The same base cloth they use for Melody Miller, Echino, and Heather Ross.)

Zip Closeup

This is a wonderful weight for bags, but not so heavy that you couldn’t use it for quilts or garments. The best of all worlds!

Front Zip Pencil Pouch

The original bag from the Craftsy class is a 9″ x 5″ pouch with a zipper on the front. I love this size and shape for pencils, makeup brushes, and sewing notions.

Business Card Open

I’ve resized the bag to fit business cards or cash.

Front Zip iPad Case

I’ve also sized it to fit my iPad. This version is lightly padded with fusible fleece. The bag is big enough to hold the iPad in its cover, as well as a charger. I’ve made the handle longer so it is more functional.

Front Zip Magazine Case

The largest size is just right for magazines and a notebook or pad of paper. I’ve added a pen pocket to the front and a D-ring on the handle so I can clip a strap on or off.

Strap Closeup

Fully Lined Zip Pouches

Unlike a few other front zip pouch patterns, this version is fully lined with hidden seams. Nice and tidy!

Front Zip Pencil Pouch

They all nest together for handy storage when I’m not traveling.

This is intended to supplement the Craftsy class by offering alternative sizes to the bag in the class. Below are the dimensions for each bag. You will need to sign up for the FREE class to print the instructions and/or watch the videos on how to construct the bag. The construction process is exactly the same for each bag with the  following exceptions:

• I added a patch pocket for two pens on the front of the Magazine Bag. To construct this pocket, cut two pieces of fabric 2.5″ x 5.5″. Place them right sides together and sew around all the sides with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a 2″ gap on one of the longer sides to turn it right side out. Turn and press, tucking in the seam allowance on the opening. On the bottom exterior fabric (ladybugs in my case), measure 2″ over from the right side and 2″ up from the bottom and pin the pocket in place. Sew around both sides and the bottom to secure the pocket to the exterior.  Sew up the middle to divide the pocket in two.  (I demonstrate how to make a patch pocket in the other part of the class, Reversible Tote.) Do this before you sew the bottom exterior to the zipper.
  • The fusible fleece for the iPad case and Magazine Bag is 1″ smaller than the exterior and lining fabrics. This is so it doesn’t get sewn in the seams, which cuts down and bulk and allows it to lie flatter. When fusing the fleece to the fabric, center it on the back, leaving 1/2″ around all sides.
  • I put the strap on the bottom section of the Business Card Holder instead of the top.
  Finished Front Top Front Bottom Back Strap Zipper Size
lining = 11.5″ x 12″
fusible fleece = 10.5″ x 11″
exterior = 11.5″ x 14.5″
lining = 11.5″ x 14.5″
fusible fleece = 10.5″ x 13.5″
5″ x 3.5″ 10.5″

Please remember that “zipper size” refers to the length from the stop to stop, and doesn’t include the extra length at the ends. If you have to size a zipper down (and you probably will for some of these sizes), measure from the zipper stop at the top down and mark the teeth at the proper length. Use your sewing machine to run back and forth over that area on the teeth, essentially creating your own zipper stop out of thread. Leave 1/2″ of tape after the stop and trim.

That’s it! I hope you enjoy making a bag or two. Let me know in the comments if you run into any trouble.

16 Responses to Front Zip Pouch in Four Sizes

1. Cemella says:

Love your video classes on Craftsy. I’ll be making my first bag this week and looking forward to posting the finished product. Thank you so much for sharing the updated dimensions for different size bags.

2. Marsha says:

Thanks very much…loved your Craftsy class. I am hoping to make a few more zipper pouches with these new sizes.

3. thriftybeenie (sabina) says:

Thoroughly enjoyed both classes. I love watching and learning this way. The instructions are clear and concise and a pleasure to follow. I definitely have got the bug to make more… Thank you Kirstin

4. Abby says:

Thanks so much for this project!! I have really enjoyed making this pouch. I first made the business card size one, then wanted to make one for my ipad mini. I thought I would share the measurements that I figured out with everyone. This size works well for anyone who may want to use this for their ipad mini or e-reader (kindle, nook, etc…). The bag will finish up being 6.5x 9.5 inches
    Zipper 6.5 inches
    Strap 3×4
    Front top exterior and lining= 7.5in x 2.5in/ Fusible fleece = 6.5in x 1.5in
    Front bottom exterior and lining= 7.5in x 8.5in/ Fusible fleece= 6.5in x 7.5in
    Back= 7.5inx 10.5in/ Fusible fleece= 6.5x 9.5in
    I have pictures if anyone wants to see.
    Thanks again for the tutorial!!

5. Sandra :) says:

I just made my first bag in the original size – it looks as nice on the inside as it does on the outside – I love that! I was a bit nervous at the end when I was turning it right sides out – it didn’t look like it was going to work so I thought I had done something wrong, but nope – it was fine :) I’ve made a lot of zipper bags so I went by the pdf instructions until it was time to sew the side seams – then I had to check the video to see how to orient the fabric. A quick peek showed me what I needed to know, I finished the bag, and now I need to make a set (or two, or three …) in all the sizes – I just love this! It’s easy too – there’s nothing fiddly or fussy about it – it’s a simple bag that looks really well done when it’s finished – THANK YOU!

6. Suzanne says:

I really enjoyed the craftsy class and can’t wait to make the bags. Thanks for all the sizes you offer here.

7. Betz says:

Congratulations on your Craftsy success! That’s fabulous!

8. Carol says:

Thanks for the Craftsy class and the additional sizes. Great tutorial. Look forward to your other bag class at Craftsy.

9. betty says:

Still not a real fan of Craftsy, because I’m not a “video learner”. I like to have something in print that I can look at for a long time. Yes, I know that you can get a PDF version of the tutorials, but it’s pretty well hidden. I didn’t expect to find the PDF by going to the Materials Tab of the video. I initially assumed that Materials would be the fabric, notions, etc. that were needed for the pattern. Was I the only one who couldn’t find the PDF – or needed something in print?

10. Love these sizes! Will definitely be giving them a try. Thanks!

11. manybooks (Linda) says:

This is an amazing tutorial/class! Thank you so much for the extra sizes. I can’t wait to make more! I also wanted to let folks know that if you want to copy the chart to a Word document to print it, it works great with the page on landscape.
    THANK YOU so much, Kristen!~

12. Carolyn says:

I took the Craftsy class, but silly me – I only made the reversible totes, which I love. I am going to buy me some zippers and get busy on Valentine pouches. Thanks for the new sizes.

13. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for sharing this! I took the Craftsy class too and made two zipper pouches (with coordinating reversible totes) for Christmas gifts. I know it will be a “go-to” project in the future. Especially with all these new sizes! =)

14. Wendy says:

Thank you! I loved the class and have been thinking of ways to use this technique for other bags. I hope you will teach more classes, too.

15. Tez says:

Some of the links don’t seem to be working….and messy hair, really? c’mon folks!

16. David says: