Beginner Sewing Questions?

on May 16 | in Etc... | by | with 15 Comments

Tasha Miller Griffith created a PDF e-book called Hello Sewing Machine, Learn How to Sew with Basics for Every Sewing Machine. She’s going to answer some sewing questions from beginners in an upcoming post so let them fly in the comments below. What have you always wondered about learning to sew? Don’t be intimidated… Now’s your chance to ask. Let’s hear your why‘s and how‘s? Nothing is too basic.

Here’s what Tasha has to say about the e-book:

After I discovered the wonderful world of indie pattern companies, helpful blogs, and fellow sewers that exists online, it still seemed to me that there wasn’t much for people who have never used a sewing machine before. I know a lot of people who have a sewing machine sitting in their closet, but don’t quite have the confidence to get it out and start using it. I also believe that learning to sew can be a big step toward a more thoughtful way of approaching the things we wear and use. All these ideas motivated me to write a tutorial that could bridge the gap and empower more people to start sewing!

I wrote and illustrated this e-book assuming that readers are starting from scratch. It takes you through the basics of how your sewing machine works, and how to start making things. I made it as clear, simple, and approachable as I could, using things I learned by teaching in-person sewing classes. It has over 50 illustrations, and detailed instructions for every step. I want someone learning on their own to be able to get started sewing with just this guide and a few simple tools, and also for it to be helpful to those who want to teach a friend to sew but aren’t quite sure where to start.

15 Responses to Beginner Sewing Questions?

1. KeriAnn says:

I would love some advice on sewing in circular motions. I am great at sewing along a straight line, but any time there is a curve in the pattern, I cannot seem to sew easily around it.

2. Cherie says:

I would love to know how to sew an underlining.

Also, how do you get gathers to be even?

Thank you!

3. Amanda says:

Adding zippers to a garment. I have one pattern that I struggle getting a clean, professional appearance around the zipper, because the dress is basically finished up to having to sew the zipper in.

4. kim t. says:

how do you sew ruffles – such as a ruffled bottom of a skirt or top, and inbetween tiers on a girl’s tiered skirt?

And…..

How do you sew elastic to fabric (as opposed to making a casing)?

5. Tina Leigh says:

I have found some great rayon prints for skirts and I am wondering what is a good needle to use as to prevent snagging the fabric.

6. N. says:

Is it necessary to use a serger when sewing with knits

7. Jen says:

I would love some advice on different feet or techniques to use for edgestitching. And how to keep it straight!

8. Hey Tasha, is a surger a good investment for a beginner sewer? Or should I get more experience first?

9. Tasha says:

I’m sure someone has a question . . . even if it’s not super basic, just ask whatever sewing questions are on your mind, I’d love to know what you all are curious about!

10. Beth says:

I’m curious about how the tension works, and how I should adjust it if my stitches are not looking the way they should.

11. Heloisa says:

I’ve been trying to go for free motion embroidery but i still haven’t figured out. My machine is a basic model, but it came with the feet for it. I could learn every other feet but this one. Any tips?
    Also, how should i take care of my machine? Oil it up and all that good stuff? I have it for almost a year now but i don’t know how and what to do… :/

12. Seanna Lea says:

I will have to check this out. While I have made a number of things, the steps for pulling out my machine and cutting the fabric all seem very daunting.

But first I think I need to figure out how to tell what seam allowance my machine is set to. I just know that almost everything comes out a bit big (I think it is a 1/2″ instead of 5/8″).

13. This is a perfectly timed post, as I am hosting Sewing School for my friends who want to get their sewing machines out of the box and figure out how to use them! We start next week, so I will keep note of their questions.

14. Melissa says:

I would love to know the best way to sew stretch jersey, lycra without the use of a serger.

15. Gayle Bender says:

I have made several dresses, skirts, and tops, but I want to make shorts and pants. I failed miserably the one time I tried to make pants because I do not know how to fit the inseam. Can you give some tips on how to properly fit an inseam? Thank you.