A brief outline of how the contest will work:
Over the next week, people who want to throw their name in the hat can do so. SMS staff will select 10 contestants.
- Contestants receive their first set of instructions which they have 7 days to complete.
- Contestants post detailed photos of their completed project on their blog or on Flickr.
- Judges eliminate 2 contestants.
- Contestants receive their second set of instructions which they have 7 days to complete.
- Again, posting of photos and 2 contestants eliminated.
- Contestants have 10 days to complete the project.
- Two eliminations
- Contestants have 12 days to complete the project.
- ONE elimination.
- The 3 remaining contestants have 14 days to complete the project.
- Grand Prize winner selected!
Projects and Designers
We won’t tell you the specific patterns, but we can say there will be 4 garments and 1 bag. Each round is a little more complex than the next. Later this week we’ll introduce you to the pattern designers, who will be writing a helpful post about their pattern during the contest.
Contestants don’t have to make it to the end to win a fabulous prize! For each round they advance they’ll win gift certificates from our generous fabric store sponsors. (More about them later this week!)
You can play along! Even if you’re not one of the 10 main contestants, you can sew the same pattern and submit your photos to win great prizes like patterns, books and gift certificates. You can participate in 1 round or all 5.
If you’d like to become a contestant you must:
- be available to sew 5 projects between July 8 and September 4. If you are going on vacation for a month, it probably won’t work out. If you are taking short trips here and there, it might work. Feel free to email us to talk about it.
- live in North America. Janome US is sponsoring the contest and can only award the prize to a resident of Canada, the US or Mexico.
- be willing to share photos of yourself and tell your story. We want to get to know you!
- have a blog or Flickr account.
- be able to take good photos that show the finished project in detail. (For example, we’ll want to see seams, close-ups of zippers, etc.)
- be willing to sew garments for adults and children, women and men. (Photographing finished garments on hangers instead of humans will be acceptable.)
- be willing to work with video, PDFs and paper patterns.
- be prepared to show off your skills and your creativity!
Ready for your audition?
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line SOSM (Super Online Sewing Match.)
- Tell us how long you’ve been sewing and what you like to sew.
- Link to at least 3 photos of garments and/or bags you’ve made.
- If you have a blog, send us the link.
- Tell us why you think you should be selected as one of the 10 contestants.
- Send us your email by Saturday, July 6!
Our friends at Janome have agreed to sponsor the Grand Prize–A Horizon Memory Craft 8900! We’ll post more about this great prize tomorrow, but suffice it to say it is a fantastic machine with an MSRP of $4999!