Yesterday we announced our new contest, The Super Online Sewing Match. As I mentioned, Janome generously contributed the grand prize, a Horizon Memory Craft 8900, which is a very amazing sewing machine. I would know because I have one! If you were following social media during and immediately after QuiltCon, you may have heard that the dealer sold the QuiltCon classroom machines for a discount to show attendees. The offer came at a time when I had been thinking about getting something new, but hadn’t made a decision yet. I was already using a much older Memory Craft, so when I had the chance to use the brand new Horizon during my QuiltCon classes, it was familiar, but oh so much better! It is the perfect machine for sewing generalists like myself. I like to sew a little of everything–bags, apparel, quilts, gifts and home decor and this machine can really do it all.
My actual machine in my actual house!
Here are the things I love most about this sewing machine:
- The automatic thread cutter. I don’t know how I ever lived without it.
- There is an 11″ bed to the right of the needle. This, my friends, makes quilting on a home machine practically painless!
- It is very smooth. My old machine used to rattle the table, but this one purrs.
- It’s fast: 1000 stitches per minute. And yet the speed adjustment is very sensitive so when you want to slow it down for sewing curves you can get it just right.
- A big extension table, which I’ve used for quilting and apparel.
- Easy on, easy off adjustable knee lift. This took some getting used to, but I love it!
- There are 99 needle positions. It’s like having a nudge tool for your needle which allows you to get your stitches exactly where you want them.
- All 270 stitches. Yes, I use decorative stitches sometimes! Not often, but I like options.
- 16 presser feet, including a walking foot. I don’t know how to use half of them, but I aspire to learn.
- A great big, can’t-miss-it foot pedal.
Those are my priorities, but everyone has features they dream of, so here is the official list from Janome:
- Top loading full rotary hook bobbin system
- 270 built in stitched up to 9mm wide, including 3 alphabets
- 11 one-step buttonholes
- Detachable AcuFeedTM Flex system
- Auto tension system
- Built-in, one-hand needle threader
- Snap-on presser feet
- Memorized needle up/down
- 7-piece feed dog
- One-step needle plate conversion
- 1,000 spm sewing speed
- Super fine needle position adjustment
- Start/Stop button
- Speed control slider
- Locking stitch button
- Automatic thread cutter
- Twin needle guard
- Easy reverse button
- Advanced Plate Markings
- Individual and combination stitch editing
- Last stitch recall capability
- Adjustable knee lift
- Auto-declutch bobbin winder
- Extra high presser foot lift
- High resolution LCD touchscreen
- Tactile jog dial
- Foot pressure adjustment
- Maximum stitch width: 9mm
- Maximum stitch length: 5mm
- Cloth Guide included
- Pattern stitch length calculator
- Extension table included
- 5 ultrabright LED lamps for shadow-free sewing
- Double accessory bins plus upper storage
- 11″ to the right of the needle
The MSRP for the Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900 is $4999. Would you like to win it? Check out the contest criteria here and send us your audition email by the end of the week.
Just for fun, tell us your favorite thing about your machine, or a feature you wish it had.