Our Super Online Sewing Match contestants submitted their Roller Skate Dress for the Round Two Challenge by midnight last night. We love the variety in today’s entries and the stiff competition… These contestants can sew! There are so many pretty dresses with very different looks, all from the same pattern! Just as in Round One, contestants had a list of specific photos to share so we could see the quality of construction, and each contestant wrote a post or sent an email including a narrative about their experience with second challenge. Our judges will evaluate each dress and we’ll announce the six contestants who will advance to Round Three on Friday, July 26. We’ll also announce our Round Three Challenge on Friday! Here is a calendar with all of the important dates for The Super Online Sewing Match.
Click on each contestant’s blog or Flickr link below for more info and photos.
Don’t forget about the Community Match! You have from now until September 10 to sew your own Roller Skate Dress (or tunic!); add it to the photo pool for a chance to win lots of fabulous prizes.
Sue from A Colourful Canvas
“Variations on a design include: the addition of a Peter Pan collar, edged with handmade green gingham piping, 1″ neck facing, lace eyelet sewn along the armholes, colour blocked with two patterns, handmade green gingham piping between the two prints, secret pockets in the front of dress, lace eyelet sewn onto the lining hem, fully reversible dress…”
Ashley from Ashley Lotecki Illustration & Design
“At the waist, I added in a peplum which has a double layer of fabric and was gathered to give it more structure. It can be fluffed up more or smoothed out to be flatter as the wearer would like. Party Princess vs. Casual Princess! I moved the elastic waist casing so it sat underneath the peplum because I didn’t want the stitching to combat the top of the peplum and it looks a lot cleaner.”
Melissa from Scavenger Hunt
“The most challenging part of this dress was these ice cream cone pockets. They required a lot of planning to get them to turn out right. First, I drew out the design for them on paper, then made a nice symmetrical pattern with Illustrator. I cut them out in fabric and used Wonder Under to adhere the shapes to a piece of white fabric. I added fusible interfacing to the back of that fabric and then hand-embroidered the pattern on the cone and around the edges. Then I sewed on the linings and turned them right side out, made a buttonhole in each, and sewed them on the front. Then I went over the machine stitches with embroidery floss to hide them. The best part is that they are actual functional pockets! The ‘cherry’ keeps them buttoned up.”
Nicole from Nicole at Home
“To create the bodice and skirt chevrons, I cut the pattern down the middle of the front, and along one of the elastic stitching lines, adding seam allowance where needed. Then each piece of fabric was cut individually to ensure that everything matched up. I used the same technique as I did here, overlapping the pieces at the sewing lines and drawing the stripes right onto the pattern pieces before aligning and pinning to the fabric.”
Ngoc, on Flickr
“I know this is a pattern for a little girl’s dress (and a lovely pattern it is), but my design aesthetics tend not to include anything too cutesy. So I decided to sew this little girl’s dress using fabrics I would use for my own clothes… The only thing I did differently was to embellish the hem with hand embroidery a la Richard Saja. My work won’t be featured in a museum anytime soon, but I really like the effect.”
Kelli from True Bias
“In my opinion [the collar} was definitely the hardest part of the dress. It took me a few tries to get everything perfect. But in the end I love it. I feel like the wave/point goes well with the nautical feel of the fabric. In the back I added a button loop and a fabric colored button that I made out of some scraps of matching fabric.”
Charise from Charise Creates
“The jumping off point for the design was this Grandmother’s Flower paper pieced pattern. I design paper piecing patterns and thought this one would be a perfect addition to the dress! I created two flowers for the pockets in some of my favorite Japanese fabrics. It was fun to fussy cut the motifs for the petals!”
Lori from Girls in the Garden
“I used the dress version but redrafted the pattern so I could use one fabric for the bodice and another for the skirt. Lily wanted orange in her dress and that is one of the colors in the stripes. I used the elastic casing lines from the pattern for the division from bodice and skirt, adding 3/4″ to these pattern pieces for the casing”