Sherri Noel from Rebecca Mae Designs designed this First Aid Kit for the back to school season. It would make a great gift for young adults heading out to college, or for a family with young kids (band-aids at the ready for those knees). Really anyone could use and appreciate this kit, so you can get started now with some early work on holiday presents! You can download this full First Aid Kit tutorial as a PDF (the PDF includes the “Red Cross” template on the last page).
Gather Your Supplies
(1) 9.5” x 14” outer fabric
(1) 9.5” x 14” lining fabric
(1) 3” x 3” fabric for ‘red cross’
(3) 1.5” x 9.5” fabric strips for binding
Clear plastic “fabric” (light to medium gauge)
(1) 5.5” x 9.5” for divided pocket
(1) 6.5” x 9.5” for zip pocket
- Red Cross template (final page of PDF tutorial)
- 9” Zipper
- (2) 10” Ribbon
- Fusible fleece (like Pellon 987f) – (1) 9.5” x 14”
- Interfacing (like pellon decor bond 809) – (1) 9.5” x 14”
- Clover Wonder Binding Clips
- Rotary cutter/mat/quilters ruler
1. Fuse interfacing to wrong side of outer fabric.
2. Print and cut out red cross template. Trace template onto paper side of heat and bond. Cut out traced design adding at least 1/4 seam allowance outside lines. Iron onto wrong side of white fabric and cut out on traced line. Remove paper backing and fuse to outer fabric, then applique stitch as desired.
3. Prepare three binding strips; fold in half along long edge, press, then fold each side in to meet at center press line. Press again.
4. Enclose one long edge of 5.5” x 9.5” plastic piece with one binding strip.
5. Sew two seams along edge.
6. Fuse fusible fleece to wrong side of lining fabric.
7. Topstitch plastic ‘pocket’ from Step 5 along short end of lining unit, approximately 1/8” from edge.
8. Topstitch three pocket dividers at intervals of choice. Work from outer edge toward center. Backstitch at start and stop.
9. Place second binding strip (opened) along right edge of zipper. Place bottom edge 1/2” below zipper stop. Secure with wonder clips. With zipper foot attached sew 1/4” from right edge.
10. Wrap binding around to back side.
11. Place zipper unit from Step 10 on over left edge of 6.5” x 9.5” plastic piece. Plastic should extend under binding, just shy of zipper. Topstitch two seams approximately 1/8” from each long edge, attaching pieces to form one unit.
12. Place zipper unit on top of lining and center zipper 7” from either side of lining. Wrap remaining binding strip over left side of zipper. Match bottom end with binding strip on right of zipper at the edge of the lining fabric. Clip in place with binding clips. Topstitch 2 seams 1/8” from each long edge of binding, attaching it to lining unit.
13. Place a 10” ribbon at center of both short ends. Baste ribbon in place 1/4” from fabric edge.
14. Move zipper pull to center of zipper.
15. Place outer fabric unit on top of lining with right sides together. Match “Red Cross”-end of outer fabric with divided pocket end of lining.
16. Sew 1/4” seam around edges leaving a generous opening to turn. Backstitch at start and stop.
17. Clip corners (optional: trim edges to 1/8”). Trim excess zipper. Carefully turn right side out. Finger press edges. Topstitch opening closed.
|This post is sponsored by Warp & Weft, a Canadian-based company featuring exquisite 100% woven cotton fabrics; they are passionate about textile and design. Warp & Weft goes to great lengths to find prints that are not only of exceptional beauty and quality but that have a compelling story to tell.|