Gigantic Craftsy Sale: What do you recommend?

on September 18 | in Sewing Classes | by | with 10 Comments

In case you missed it, Craftsy is having a humongous sale this week to celebrate their 2 millionth customer. Coincidentally, as of this week there are over 200,000 people in my two free Craftsy classes! If you’ve signed up for the classes and have been one of the people who have posted a photo or a comment, I just wanted to thank you! It has been such a fun experience to get your feedback.

Anyway, back to the sale. Here are the classes on my wish list. If you’ve taken one of these, or have recommendations for others, please say so in the comments!

Pattern Drafting from Ready-to-Wear

I have an off-the-rack dress/tunic that I’ve had for several years that I’ve worn to death. It looks great with leggings and boots, which is my winter uniform. I need to make this dress in about five fabrics and I’ll be set. If you’ve taken this class, I’d love to know about it.

40 Techniques Every Sewer Should Know

I think I might know quite a few but I bet there are a lot of great tips in this class even if you’ve been around a sewing machine for a long time. I’m always interested in new tricks!

Sewing Fashion Knits: Beyond the Basics

I’m ready to move beyond the basics. If you’re not so sure, you should check out Meg’s class and Amy’s class.

Pre-Cut Piecing Made Simple

After the whole Tricycle Quilt experience, I’m ready to see what else I can do with pre-cuts.

Improvisational Piecing: Modern Design

I’ve heard really wonderful things about Jacquie’s classes, and love her work, so this has been on my to-do list for a long time.

Inset & Applique Circles By Machine

This class and Ellen’s pattern are definitely on my agenda. I’ve always wanted to learn circles and quarter circles, so no more excuses.

Quilt-As-You-Go Patchwork Bags

I’ve seen several of these bags pop up on Instagram and Facebook. The design is really cute and the technique is transferable to hundreds of other projects, so I’m definitely interested in this one.

Shoot It! A Product Photography Primer

I would love some tips for taking better photos of the things I sew. I’m still learning to use my camera, so I think the recommendations and ideas in this class would be very helpful to me.

If you’ve taken these, or other Craftsy classes, please leave a comment. We’re interested in your recommendations!

10 Responses to Gigantic Craftsy Sale: What do you recommend?

1. Deanne Chambers says:

I am a totally new sewer who inherited all of my mothers swag. Serger and a hefty 20 something year old pfaff. My husband also bought me a brother from Walmart that has a ton of embroidery stitches. I have taken Amy Allen’s class about serger basics and it was great. I really like Gail Yellen. She is so….I don’t know I just became immersed in her class. Because of her I press, press, press.
    I took the bag making class and zippered pouch another wonderful taught class my mother couldn’t believe I had made them. I gave them to my sister as she is returning to school and my mom wanted a lined pouch to keep some art stuff in her purse when my sister told her I had made it she was stunned.
    I have guilted my husband into buying a few courses for me (its hunting season up here in Canada). So I have the a-line skirt class, a few Amy Gibson quilting classes, the sewing with knits one and I’m sure the list could go on.
    I am in love with craftsy. Their platform and the way they work everything is amazing. I would not be where I am in the sewing world if it wasn’t for you ladies and craftsy. Thanks for giving me the tools to really learn how to do something I enjoy.

2. Pamela says:

I have enrolled in several of the classes. All love them all, but Quilt as You Go patchwork bags was my favorite by far.

3. Becky says:

I love taking sewing classes but little is offered here locally, especially for what I’m interested in, so I love, love, love Craftsy. I have purchased many classes that I’ve just not had the time to take yet, but really looking forward to do so this winter, on those long evenings when I won’t feel guilty about all the time I’m spending alone with my computer & my sewing machine.

I agree with Jessi that Diana Rupp’s Sewing Studio was very basic, but I took it for the same reason she did…not many other sewing classes available at the time. I did pick up a couple tips from it and I have recommended it to many of my friends that are just learning to sew. It’s very well done.

I loved Eileen Roche’s class on the Machine Embroidered Quilt. She makes it looks so easy to line up all those designs. I haven’t found the right fabrics that I want to use yet, but will probably do this one this winter for sure. The class was very well done and helped me to not worry about every little thing that I think isn’t quite right. Good attitude to imitate…very freeing.

Design & Sew an A-line Skirt was also very well done. You get to learn to make your own pattern and the fit is perfect. The steps are easy to follow and the finished product is satisfying.

Right now I’m working on Cookie’s Digitizing Machine Embroidery Designs. This is a dream of mine to be able to create at least some of my own designs. Her techniques & style of teaching thus far are very easy to follow.

Hope this info is helpful. The prices on the classes are an amazing bargain this week.

4. Sibylle says:

I was really content with the class perfect croissants at home. I also enrolled in feather quilting and dot to dot quilting and something else, but I am not done with those, so far they look fine :)

5. marci says:

I love the quilt block a month free class. I took Meg’s class on sewing with Knits & really liked the way she explained the difference between all the different types of knits. I also took the Natalie Chanin class, she had some great tips. I recently signed up for a class to make jeans…I have not completed that class yet. And of course I liked the reversible tote class, I have made a couple of the totes.

6. marthaeliza says:

I just finished the alabama chanin class and it was fab. Definitely a different take on garment making and embellishment.

7. Southern Gal says:

Camille’s class is on your list and it’s fabulous! I’m a newbie quilter and learned so much from her class on pre-cuts. I would like to take the quilt-as-you-go class next.

8. Hannah says:

Definitely pre cut piecing made simple for how to piece perfect swoon blocks

9. Jessi says:

My absolutely favorite class was Stupendous Stitching. I have the product hanging on the wall. And it required very few materials I didn’t already have.

I also liked Wendy Butler Berns Pictorial Quilts, but didn’t care for her Art Quilt class.
    I really liked Annette Kennedy’s Painted Quilt class.

The class about copying jeans (Jean-ius?) was incredibly informative, but I haven’t had the guts to actually try it yet.
    I did the alterations class and that was really useful too.

Ooh, I also really liked the Thread Painting Class, and the Fused Quilts class with Laura Wasilowski.

So, you can see I’ve taken TONS of the classes. There have only been two I didn’t like: Art Quilt Backgrounds, which is just a class on how to make log cabin blocks, very disappointing (though I guess it’s subtitle name kind of says that) and Diana Rupp’s Sewing Studio which was WAY too basic (I see they’ve changed the description though and now it says basic. I took it when it was one of the few garment classes available.)

10. Just watched the first two sessions of the improvisational piecing class and it’s a good one. I’ve taken several classes and they have all been very good, including the free ones