sosm_bannerOur contestants completed their final challenge in the Super Online Sewing Match! Charise from Charise Creates, Kelli from True Bias and Melissa from Scavenger Hunt created absolutely gorgeous Cambie dresses and our judges now have the very difficult challenge of selecting our Grand Prize Winner to receive a Janome Horizon MC8900! Our contestants have worked so hard on all five challenges; Charise, Kelli and Melissa are clearly top-notch, super-talented sewists with outstanding skill and style. Just look at these Cambies!…

Click on each contestant’s blog link below for more info and photos. Don’t forget: You can enter your sewing in the Community Match for a chance to win some amazing prizes through September 10th!
LineBreak

Charise from Charise Creates

“I was drawn to the A-line version which I saw myself wearing more often… This dress required three muslins to get the design and fit right! It was definitely worth the effort; the fit is fabulous and I will be making at least one more for fall. I decided to change the darts to princess seams and add an empire seam line under the bust which is a more flattering style for me. White piping was added to the pockets, waist and empire seams. I added curved pockets with piping, similar to the A-line skirt I created in Challenge #1. The upper pocket bags are lined with a pretty coordinating fabric.

One single vintage button was added to the upper neckline; I purchased these button on Etsy– real glass vintage buttons! It was fun to put one to use. The invisible zipper starts 5″ below the top neckline edge to create a slit for a fun little back detail. The invisible zipper turned out splendidly down to matching the piping at the back waist… The bodice is completely lined with the same pretty floral print that was used for the pocket lining.”

LineBreak

Kelli from True Bias

“I have always admired Sewholic patterns, but have been reluctant because I have heard that they are patterned for a pear shaped body type. I am kind of the opposite– more apple shaped. I am a little self conscious of my broad upper body and boxy waist. I didn’t feel any better either when I measured myself and my chest and waist put me in a size 10 and my hips in a size 0. Luckily the skirt is full so it didn’t really matter what my hip size was, but I still wanted to do what I could to under-emphasize my shoulders and chest.

It’s such a cute and sweet dress and I have seen it made up many times to be absolutely adorable, but I just wasn’t sure it was going to look great on me unless I made a few customizations. The first and biggest change was to change the sleeves a bit. To do this I simply got rid of the gathers (the lining piece has no gathers so you can easily just use it as your top piece as well.) I also raised the point of connection between the sleeves and bodice to make the sleeves appear a little more built in.

Another way that I tried to make the dress a little more flattering for my body type is through color blocking and fabric choice. Both of my fabrics came from Mood and the colorful one is silk and the black is a crepe. It was very important to me to find fabric that was flowy and not cotton because I wanted the full skirt to have a more body conscious silhouette instead of a 50’s style one. I also wanted the dress to be a little more formal and I think the the silk really adds to that. The slippery fabrics definitely gave me some fits during the construction, but in the end I think that the effort was worth it. By putting the bright fabric in the center and the black on the outside I was trying to create the illusion of a thinner silhouette…

LineBreak

Melissa from Scavenger Hunt

“It’s really a beautiful pattern and I as I browsed pictures online I noticed that every single person who has made it so far looks great in it! I tried to think of something I could do to make my version a little unique and reflect my personal style, but the pattern is already so pretty and universally flattering, I didn’t want to mess with it too much.

After much deliberation, I decided to make the following changes: add coral red piping, add buttons to the front, change the pocket shape, add three inches to the length [and] add more fullness to the skirt.

If you’ve seen my last two Sewing Match projects, you might think that I’m somewhat obsessed with piping. You may be right! It’s one of my favorite trims to add. I thought a lot about which color to use, and I finally decided that the bright red color would really pop. I ended up making my own once again because I couldn’t find that perfect shade of coral-y red in ready-made piping…

I was inspired to make the rounded, piped pockets by this image I found while browsing Pinterest. I think it works well with the pattern! I think it gives the dress a sort of 1940s-ish look.”