Tell Us About Your Sewing Machine!

on October 16 | in Etc... | by | with 17 Comments

Do you love your sewing machine? Do you have a tricky relationship with your machine? Tell us all about it. Would we want to buy it? Let’s share info!

Add your machine to our Sewing Machine Reviews and check it out for updated information.

17 Responses to Tell Us About Your Sewing Machine!

1. Twig says:

I have a Necchi Lycia LAC, circa 1950s, I believe. It’s reliable and tough-as-nails. It can sew through canvas (and apparently leather) without a hiccup.

2. Sara says:

I have a Singer 201-2 that I got from the original owner on craigslist. I looked for an old Singer specifically because of the great reviews it got on your reviews page, and it’s a wonderful machine!

3. Alison says:

I bought my first machine just after starting work in 1984. Its a Singer 6214C – worked really well. Just as I finished working to have my children I splashed out a bought a Janome Memory Craft 4000 – so much fun to use making babies & toddlers clothing. Also bought an Elna 614DE Overlocker for all those t-shirts I was making. About 9 years ago we moved to a new home, lovely setting in the mountains, heaps of trees & beautiful views. Only problem was the power supply was inconsistent & fried the motor on the Janome. Went back to the old Singer & have been using it ever since making my three now teenagers costumes & varies things that are always need tomorrow!!! One day I might get beyond “dreaming” about owning a “fancy” machine again – but not just yet.

4. Pam from CA says:

I currently sew on a Janome 6600. I love the extra throat space, needle up and down, thread cutter, stitch speed adjustment, and knee lift. It sews thru anything! Yes, it has all the nice design stitches also! I purchased my Janome at a large International Quilt Show. I love it!! I purchased it after using my Viking 990 for 23 years. The Viking did not like to free motion quilt very much and since I wanted to quilt my own quilts I purchased the Janome. It was designed more for garment sewing. It has a lot of design stitches also! I still use this machine for other sewing projects. I have a 1962 Singer Touch and Sew with all the cams for the extra stitches. Solid metal! Stitches thru anything! It was my Mom’s sewing machine and I sewed my clothes through Jr. High School and High School. My Mom sewed my wedding dress on it. She duplicated the wedding dress and Camelot veil I saw in Bride magazine! It is in a nice solid teakwood cabinet with drawers. It is nostalgic to sew on it! I also have a 1972 Sears Kenmore that does straight, zigzag and stretch stitch. All metal and sews thru anything!

5. Ann says:

What brand and model?
    Bernina Virtuoso 150 CPS Special Quilters Edition
    How long have you had it?
    1999
    How much does that machine cost?
    then 1200.00, now ?
    What types of things do you sew?
    Everything. Garments, Crafts, Home Dec. vinyl, leather, quilts. I have even run light aluminum through it.
    How much do you sew?
    I try to sew everyday, but don’t always find I am able.
    Do you like/love/hate your machine?
    I love it. I had an older singer for the first 8 years or so that I sewed. I sewed, sold, and saved just so that I could buy the Bernina. I wanted it for a long time before I had enough money, and now am just as happy with that purchase as the day I got it. (no name, just Bernina)
    What features does you machine have that work well for you?
    Many optional/exchangeable feet. 150 built in stitches. Complete stainless steel parts. Swiss Engineering.
    Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
    Not the machine, however I would like the table to be flush with the top of the machine. Someday……
    At Christmas, in the year of my great sales/savings for the purchase my ex-husband wrapped up a banana and put it under the tree. He told the kids to be sure and give mom her ‘bernana’. I thought he was going to finish out my needed funds, instead he was playing a practical joke.
    I didn’t think it was very funny.
    I would most definitely recommend a Bernina to anyone.
    What factors are important to consider?
    Reliability, Product Warranty. A sewing machine is something that can last 50 years or more if taken care of. A company that stands behind its product with service and upgrades should be highly considered.
    P.S. I also have a Bernina 1300MDC 5 thread serger, a very old industrial White Brothers (for upholstery) and daughter #2 received a Brother Project Runway for this years Christmas.
    P.P.S. A quick overview of Bernina online suggests that the Aurora 440QE is as close as what I have now. Price range for this model is $3500.00 listed new.

6. Ginger says:

The machine of choice for me is my Bernina 440QE. My husband purchased it for me for Christmas (recommended by my sewing daughter). I also have a Viking Sapphire that I love for straight sewing but for quilting it doesn’t work nearly as well as “Bernie”.

7. Judy McLendon says:

I love my machine. She Goes by Big Bertha. Her real name is Bernina 830. I have two other back-up Berninas for when Big Bertha goes in for her annual maintenance checkup. My sweet husband surprised me with this dream machine. She is definitely a winner.

8. Ruthann says:

I have two machines, a Viking Husqvarna Lily 540 and just purchased a Juki TL 2010 Q that I have used daily for the past month. I love them both for different reasons. My Viking has been a faithful, great stitching sewing machine since I have purchased it. It has never been in for servicing and just sews and sews and sews. It has all the decorative stitches I would ever want but I don’t use many decorative stitches.

So you might be asking, ‘why did you get another one’? Well….my Viking was made before large throat space areas were popular and I do find it harder to quilt large projects on my Viking. Plus, I was afraid of wearing the poor thing out with lots of quilting.

I got the Juki for the throat space, the power it has and it was within my price range for a machine specific to quilting. It is a mechanical machine, no computer, very basic. It only goes straight and backwards. You can drop the feed dogs and free motion. (Does a great job by the way!) It also can be mounted into a quilting frame should I ever want to do that.

The Viking has become my traveling machine for quilting retreats and for clothes construction. My Juki is my machine for quilt piecing and for quilting.

9. Suziwong66 says:

I have a Pfaff Performance 2056 – it’s the only modern machine that i’ve ever loved – after 7 years i’m still learning new things that the machine can do! The inbuilt walking foot is brilliant.

I also have 3 Singer 221’s and a Singer 222 and a Singer treadle 201 and a class 15 Japanese Clone; love them all.

10. Betty Panetta says:

I have 3 machines. I have a singer for just straight and zigzag sewing. A Janome for Embroidery and Quilting. But my favorite has become my Janome Serger that I use to make Pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer.

11. Pat says:

I bought a used Pfaff 7550 – love the built in walking foot. amazing machine, has the best straight stitch. only has one spot to oil. Also have a Singer 306K, a metal machine made in Scotland in the late 50’s. A real workhorse, has decorative stitch disks. Only thing I do not like is the oiling, seems like I oil about 50 different spots, always have to get the book out when I oil.

I use the Pfaff more often!

12. elsa says:

I’ve got a Janome Horizon and love it. Mine is the one with the built in quilting foot. I think it’s one of the best investments I ever made. It comes with a bunch of feet for all sorts of sewing, has a table it fits down into and has a plastic table if you want to take it to a sew day. I really love my sewing machine and would definitely recommend it ~ in fact, right after I got mine, 3 friends went out and got the same one!

13. Sarah says:

I have a Singer Melodie 40 that I bought with my first proper pay packet 21 years ago. Still going strong – basic but I have never had a problem with her.

14. Karen Platt says:

I am in love with my Singer Confidence. So aptly named. I was never confident with sewing machines before, now I can do so much more. This easy to use machine is simple to pop the bobbin in and tension is automatic. You can even freehand stitch without dropping feed dogs. It’s a dream.

15. Jen says:

I love my Viking Sapphire Sewing Machine. It is the best working home machine I’ve owned. I’ve also owned a Janome & a Singer. This works hard and sounds like a race car with a purr.

16. Barbara says:

I use a Kenmore sewing machine my dad gave my mom in 1969 when they got married. It works great, nothing fancy.

17. Deb Kramer says:

I bought my machine just over a year ago. It’s a Project Runway Limited Edition. One of the main reasons I bought it was it being a self-threading machine. I have very limited vision and my friends who can see can’t use the self-threading option. It has a hard time going through thick material. I wish it was easier to use the whole machine. But I’m stuck with it.