Next Monday is Giveaway Day! Giveaway Day is actually a full week long to give you lots of time to visit new sites and enjoy the full extent of the event.
Giveaway Day a huge, biannual event where everyone with a shop or blog can give something away. We use a handy link-up system so you can show people the item you’re giving away and give them an easy way to click over to your site. On Monday, December 9th at 6 a.m. PST you can come here to submit your own link and a thumbnail photo for your giveaway. We’ll share instructions for how to do it (it’s easy) and we’ll be available to answer any questions about the process.
In the meantime you can think about which category best suits your giveaway: Handmade for the Home (quilts, hot pads, pillows, etc.) Handmade Bags Handmade Baby + Kid Items Sewing + Craft Supplies (fabric, patterns, buttons, trims, yarn, etc.) Handmade Accessories (hats, scarves, belts, adult clothes, etc.)
12/5 UPDATE: We’re going to simplify with just TWO categories this time around. One giveaway post will be for supply giveaways (including patterns) and one post will be for handmade items.
When we first started Giveaway Day several years ago that’s what it was: one day! It’s now truly a BIG event so Giveaway “Day” really lasts a full week. This gives you time to browse through the hundreds of giveaways and to really enjoy and interact with the various participating sites. All giveaways must close December 13 at 5 p.m. PST, and winners should be announced by email no later than Sunday, December 15 (please also update your Giveaway Day post to include the winner’s name).
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about how to make the event successful. Here is more about Giveaway Day, plus our tips to help you have a really positive experience:
Participants benefit because a) they get new readers (many participants end up with hundreds of comments & visitors); b) they get potential shoppers/readers; c) they can experience the joy of giving something they’ve made to a virtual friend. Readers benefit because a) they get exposed to blogs with great ideas; b) they are directed to shops with wonderful items; c) they get the opportunity to win a cool handmade prize!
Show Your Support!
One of the reasons we coordinate Giveaway Day twice a year is the help you find great new blogs to read and to help bloggers find new fans. New bloggers can sometimes feel like they’re writing in a vacuum until people start showing up to comment. Even if you found their blog via a giveaway, a few kind, encouraging words in the comments can mean a lot.
- Your giveaway item must be either handmade (for example, bags, artwork, etc.), or something that can be used for making handmade gifts (for example, buttons, ribbons, patterns, etc.).
- You need to write a post, including a photo of the giveaway item, and ask visitors to comment on that post.
- Your post must link to a blog. No Facebook or Etsy shop links, please.
- Come here Monday, December 9 at 6 a.m. PST (or later!) to submit your link.
- Decide how you want to choose the winner (random, best answer to a question, etc.).
- State in the post whether you’ll ship the item internationally.
- Leave your giveaway open until December 13 at 5 p.m. PST.
- Email your winner by December 15, and note the winner in the giveaway post.
- Ship your item by December 20.
- Tell everyone you know! Help us tell the world about Giveaway Day! Grab our button and link back to this post to let your readers know you’ll be participating. Tweet about Giveaway Day, spread the news on Facebook and write on your blog! Here’s the image URL: http://www.sewmamasew.com/november2013/giveaway_2013_Dec9.jpg and here’s the link URL for this post: http://www.sewmamasew.com/?p=44321
- Please include a link back to SewMamaSew.com so your readers can enter more giveaways.
Tips for Success:
- Make it easy for people to enter to win your giveaway. Participants don’t like “hoops” requiring people to Tweet about the giveaway, become a follower, etc. These tend to frustrate readers and might make them less likely to visit you again.
- Include a picture of your giveaway. You’ll need one clear photo when you link to our giveaway posts. Take a good photo in natural light, without lots in the background to distract from your item(s). People will often decide whether to visit based on the photo, so you want the photo to look good. Our link-up system turns photos into square thumbnails so consider how the photo will crop or create a square image to upload yourself.
- Participants tend to like answering specific questions when they comment on your post. Rather than just a random comment, consider asking readers to tell you their holiday plans, a favorite winter tradition… Something to help people connect in some small way.
- Have fun!
Want to participate? Prepare your giveaway item(s), take a photo, write your post and then link up on Monday, December 9 (starting at 6 a.m. PST). We’ll have separate pages for each of the different categories. Explore other sites and try your luck at winning a great giveaway!