Kevin Kosbab of Feed Dog Designs is celebrating the release of his new book The Quilter’s Appliqué Workshop from Interweave/F+W Media, and we’re excited to share the All Seasons Pillow project from the book as a free PDF download today. Kevin’s book guides you through various types appliqué; Kevin helps you gain confidence with the techniques and broadens your design skills in the process.
From the publisher:
- Many quilters are intimidated by appliqué. They think it’s too hard, takes too long or is too fussy. Kevin Kosbab shows quilters that not only is appliqué fun and easy to do, it can open up a world of design possibilities. The Quilter’s Appliqué Workshop teaches quilters everything they need to know to create appliqué— both as embellishment and as the focus of projects. The book is is divided into three sections that each explore a basic appliqué approach: raw-edge appliqué, prepared-edge appliqué and needle-turn appliqué. Each section includes detailed instructions, tips, and illustrations. The raw-edge and prepared-edge chapters discuss both hand- and machine-sewing techniques. Several projects illustrate each technique and explore more specialized techniques, such as broderie perse, felt appliqué and bias tape appliqué.
There are twelve home decor projects in The Quilter’s Appliqué Workshop, including a variety of quilts. We think today’s All Seasons Pillow featuring improvisational needle-turn appliqué gives you a great look at the quality of the various projects in the book. Kevin discusses variations for each of the projects, and helps you mix and match techniques; these trees, for example, come to life with embroidery details. You can use templates provided in the book but Kevin also encourages you to freehand some cuts and improvise along the way, to give each project your own artistic touch. It’s the perfect mix of support and encouragement. Download your All Seasons Pillow PDF Pattern today, and take a closer look at The Quilter’s Appliqué Workshop! There’s even a special site for the book with updates and more.
Kevin is running a grand prize giveaway on his blog throughout the tour. Comment on Feed Dog Designs through March 1 for a chance to win a signed copy of the book, a stack of Kevin’s Feed Dog Designs appliqué patterns and a copy of his DVD! (US addresses only.)
Be sure to follow the tour for giveaways, sneak peeks and more with the schedule posted below:
- February 20: Feed Dog
- February 21: Cut to Pieces
- February 24: LoveBug Studios
- February 25: Generation Q
- February 26: Happy Appliquer
- February 27: CraftyPod
- February 28: Quilting Daily