Don’t miss our Spring Cleaning Sales this weekend! Great deals on FABRIC and patterns from 20 shops!
Cal Patch, author of the popular Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified, is about to release a month-long dive into the world of pattern drafting, and designing and sewing your own clothes.
Starting April 1, Cal will teach a four-week course on Creativebug to help you learn the basics of pattern drafting. By the end you’ll be able to design your own wardrobe— dresses, tunics, shirts, and skirts— from scratch, using just your own measurements, pencil and paper. Create master patterns tailored just for you, with all of the knowledge you need to stylize the patterns as you please. By mixing and matching all sorts of design elements, like length, flare, collars, pockets, and sleeves, you can create a whole closetful of handmade clothing from just a few pattern pieces!
Here’s an exclusive excerpt for Sew Mama Sew readers with Cal sharing her sewing philosophy:
Cal has a background in formal fashion design and has worked as a designer for companies like Urban Outfitters and GAP. Through the class you’ll get weekly live chats, downloadable materials and lots of step-by-step instruction. Creativebug subscribers get full access to the class and subscriptions are just $9.95 a month!
Sign up for Cal’s class here. Creativebug is also offering Sew Mama Sew readers TWO chances to win a 3-month subscription, which gives you access to all of Cal’s classes plus any other Creativebug class! Just tell us a sewing skill you’ve always wanted to learn in the comments and we’ll select TWO winners next week.
For more, check out the class preview:
Here’s how the class will progress each week. We’re so excited about the possibilities here!:
Week One: How to Make a Master Dress Pattern
- How to take measurements for drafting a dress, tunic, or shirt pattern
- How to transform those measurements into a master pattern piece
- How to draft sleeve and collar pattern pieces
- How to label your pattern pieces
Week Two: Make a Muslin, Adjust Fit and Sew
- How to make a test garment
- How to make fit adjustments
- How to transfer adjustments to your pattern piece
- How to sew darts
- How to sew and finish your garment
Week Three: A-Line Skirts and Customizing Garments
- How to draft and sew an A-line skirt
- Ideas for customizing garments
- How to slash and spread a pattern to add flare
- How to add cutaway pockets, inset pockets, and patch pockets
- How to add a waistband
- How to make a gathered interior yoke seam
- How to add elastic
Week Four: Make a Pattern From an Existing Garment
- How to use an existing garment to create a pattern
- Various ways to transfer pattern marks
- How to select the best fabric for making clothing
Learn more about Cal’s class at Creativebug!