How much thread do you own? Take our poll!

on April 12 | in Polls + Surveys | by | with 11 Comments

How many spools of thread do you have? Are you the type of sewist who gets by with a white and a grey, or do you get a new spool to match every project? Are your friends ready to stage a thread intervention? Take our poll and see how your collection compares to other Sew Mama Sew readers.

11 Responses to How much thread do you own? Take our poll!

1. Hollie Smith says:

I thought I was bad and I am not even close to some of these ladies. I love it! I have to match to my project and I have so many projects!

2. Hollie Smith says:

That’s awesome!

3. aisling says:

Oh the results are quite surprising! But perhaps not actually, given that your readership is probably comprised of fanatics and not just fair-day sew-ers! :-)
    a

4. Gina S. says:

You know those stacking drawer containers? I have 3 of them full of thread. I have a box with quilting thread. Also have serger thread, 5 cotainers with embroidery thread, and last year i won 3 different contest with that had 18 spool of thread each. But when i start to sew something i still have to go get thread to match what i’m making, lol.

5. Sophie says:

I just counted my sewing thread, not the serger (for which I have a set of cream, a set of grey and a set of black, that’s it), neither I counted my bobbin lace threads, just counting them would be a big work…
    I use to finish remaining spools for gathering.

6. Lucy says:

I’ve got loads and loads in all colours! I did inherit quite a lot of them from my husband’s granny who used to do dressmaking and quilting but she now can’t sew. So I’m making good use of them, and every time I use one of those I think of her, which is lovely.

7. Anna (sixtyfourcolorbox) says:

I had much more, but recently switched brands because my sewing machine decided it didn’t like the brand I had been using. So when we moved, I only kept the new brand. This reduced my collection by 40 spools.

8. Linda L. says:

I am definitely showing this to my daughter! She thinks I have way too much thread and I’m in the bottom 1/3 which couldn’t be seen as excessive, could it?!? Nah!!

She also thinks I have too much wool and fabric and other items I call “necessities of life”. She’s probably wrong about that too!!

9. Sandi says:

Gosh, good question. There is sewing machine thread. Serger thread and then well thread for the long arm, and the silk thread for appliqué . Some would consider me a thread hoarder but I use good thread and a different thread for each use so it is not unusual to own almost 200 spools.

10. Katie says:

I’m very much a “try to match the thread to the project” type, but I don’t need an exact match, I’m good with pretty close. That said, I do have an embarrassing amount of blue and turquoise thread haha :)

11. Annette says:

This is a tricky one for me, because I have an embroidery machine and a serger. I’ve been attempting to dwindle down my threads. I know I have more than 125 regular, more than 250 embroidery, more than 30 serger, then there is other specialty. I sure hope the cat doesn’t get hold of all of it at one time.