This giveaway is now closed. Thanks!
It’s time again for our monthly UPPERCASE giveaway! We know many of you have become fans of this great magazine and if the social media buzz is any indication, you enjoyed Issue 21 as much as we did. In addition to the great articles about craft, style and print that we always enjoy in UPPERCASE, the latest issue includes an UPPERCASE Surface Pattern Design Guide! It’s full of gorgeous designs and expert advice from industry professionals.
The beautiful ceramics on the cover are by artist Molly Hatch.
The highlight of the latest issue is the art of 100 amazing artists. Here’s a short video from UPPERCASE about the Surface Pattern Design Guide and how to stand out as a surface pattern designer:
- 1. How will the design read if it’s cut and sewn sideways or upside down?
2. Are the colors going to coordinate with other fabrics already on the market?
3. Are there opportunities for fussy cutting?
4. Is the repeat subtle?
5. Is the scale going to work for a variety of projects?
6. Will the design work if it’s printed on stretchy fabrics or worn over curves?
7. Are the illustrations on-trend?
8. If it’s a collection of prints, does it tell a story or evoke a mood?
9. If it’s a collection, are there coordinating designs to support the feature prints?
10. Does it inspire?
(See Issue 21 of UPPERCASE to read more about each of these questions and my advice to designers.)
What do you think? Do any of our tips about fabric design jump out at you as being particularly important? Do you disagree with any of them? Are there other things you wish designers would consider when they’re working on a fabric collection? Add your thoughts in the comments for a chance to win an issue of UPPERCASE!