Sewing Poll: How did you learn to sew?

on May 11 | in Polls + Surveys | by | with 12 Comments

Happy Mother’s Day! This morning I was thinking about how my mom taught me to sew. Of course no one could have guessed where that would go! What about you? We’re all learning and improving our skills all the time, but how did you first learn to sew? Multiple selections are fine and you can enter your own answer.

If you want to treat yourself to a great new sewing class, check out the Craftsy Birthday Sale! We are affiliates, but as both an instructor and a student in many classes, I stand behind them as an excellent way to learn!

Craftsy

12 Responses to Sewing Poll: How did you learn to sew?

1. Christina says:

I took afterschool sewing lessons from a professional sewist from grade 5 to grade 9. She taught basic exercises from a Husqvarna sewing school book, and then when we were ready to move on to patterns we could choose to make whatever we wanted. She taught me so many great techniques. I mostly quilt now, but I still make clothes on occasion. My sewing skills are still pretty good though, the instructor at my LQS jokingly accused me of being a “ringer”, and told me I couldn’t take any more classes.

2. Michele says:

I saved babysitting money so that I could take sewing lessons at the Singer store in our small town. My mother had a machine that I used. That started me sewing my own clothes – even gowns as I reached high school and was a member of Rainbow Girls, so I needed gowns. I pored over fashion magazines at the library and tried to incorporate what I saw into my sewing. Now I have moved into quilting, and I’m loving it.

3. Jules says:

My Mom taught me & my 4 sisters how to sew on a 1954 Elna. I was 8 yrs old when I learned. My Midge, Francie, & Skipper dolls had MANY slacks as that was all I knew how to make for a while. Mom was an excellent seamstress. She sewed all our clothes for all 7 of us kids. Mom is still sewing at 91 but her eyesight has slowed her down.

4. Pamela says:

My Mom taught me how to sew. I made my first blue shift dress at the age of 12. I sewed most of my clothes in high school. I sew mostly quilts now. She has been gone 25 years now, still miss her!

5. Avis Edwards says:

My auntie and grandmother both taught me how to sew. I got started with hand sewing around the age of six and then on a sewing machine by ten. I’ve been sewing off and on since then. Just recently pulled out my grandmothers last sewing machine (she gave it to me) God Bless Her, so I can work on a new project. I haven’t sewn in a few years but like riding a bike it all came flooding back!

6. Carol says:

I wish they had Home Ec in our schools now, because that’s where I learned the basics of sewing. My mom taught me so many things that helped me improve my sewing.

7. Jeannette says:

Taught myself. But I asked my mom and mil a lot of questions on the phone. Now my mom asks me the questions! :)

8. Lorena says:

My mom taught me the basics but I have learned more just by trial and error

9. Darci says:

I’d like to see a poll on how old you were when you started sewing.

10. Patricia says:

My Grandmother taught me to crochet and sew. That turned into a 9 years theater costuming career at regional theater including Milwaukee Rep!

11. Angela Wicentowich says:

My grandmother started me off with embroidery when I was eight. I would use scraps of fabric to make clothes for my dolls. By junior high I was drafting my own patterns for outfits for the school dances.

12. Martha Sturgill says:

My mother helped me make my first outfit -a wool plaid skirt and pull over vest when I was in Junior High. I’m retired and still sewing. Thanks Mom. I miss you.