A few months ago, Heather Jones announced her collaboration with a new manufacturer of cotton solids, American Made Brand, so I shared the news on our Facebook page. The fans went wild!! Seriously, everyone was very, very excited to learn about this new collection of cotton solids from Clothworks. Like many other solids, there are beautiful colors, the hand is wonderful, and the price point is amazingly affordable. But the unexpected bonus is, as the name of the brand indicates, the fabric is completely sourced and manufactured in the USA.
To launch the new line, American Made Brand organized a 50-blog tour. Everyone involved is from a different state and we were all charged with making fabric license plates for our state. So without further ado, welcome to Oregon!
Here are a few facts about Oregon you might not know:
- Yes, Portland really is like Portlandia!
- Our state motto is “She Flies With Her Own Wings.” Isn’t that awesome?
- Sisters, Oregon hosts the largest outdoor quilt show in the world every summer.
- Wine, beer, donuts, ice cream, berries, in no particular order.
- It is illegal to pump your own gas! Crazy, right?
- Fabric Depot and Powell’s Books are must-sees.
- Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the US.
- Mt. Hood offers year-round skiing.
- Only adults in wet suits and small crazy children swim in the ocean, but there are many lovely tide pools, light houses, and taffy shops to visit.
- At the End of the Oregon Trail there is a wonderful, interactive museum. You should bring the kids!
For my license plate, I chose to do a simple paper-pieced pattern representing Oregon’s beautiful green landscape, imaginary blue skies, and the iconic image of Mt. Hood, with appliquéd letters.
While creating the letters for my license plate, I did a short tutorial on how to use fusible web for appliqué, which you can see here.
American Made Brand is giving away a bundle of fat quarters to one of our readers. To enter to win, tell us one wacky fact about your state. A winner will be randomly selected next week. (Sorry, US entries only.)
Make sure you follow along for the rest of the tour to see the license plates and try your luck at winning more prizes!