Quilting Trends with Debbie

on July 7 | in Quilting, Sewing Inspiration, Sewing Trends | by | with 10 Comments

Take a look at some of the latest quilting trends with Debbie Jeske from A Quilter’s Table! Debbie is currently hosting a Postcard Quilt Along; there’s a simple tutorial for Postcard Blocks with a casual sew along. Learn more via the Flickr group or Instagram (#thepostcardquiltalong).

Love these July trends? Here’s a Half-Rectangle Triangle Table Runner, Super-Size Castle Block, Supersize Shoo-Fly Quilt and the Mini Medallion Quilt Tutorial + Sew-Along.

Are you involved in a block swap? Have you super-sized your sewing? Are there half rectangle triangles in your latest quilt? Share what you’re quilting in the comments below!

Medallion Quilts

Their central motif and multiple borders come in many shapes and styles, and modern medallion quilts are affected dramatically by choices made with each new round.

Clockwise from upper left: The Scrapper’s Delight by Domestic Light and MagicDesert Flower Medallion by knottygnome craftsButterfly Medallion Quilt by FairyFace DesignsMidnight at the Oasis by Color Girl Quilts

Friendship Block Swaps

Block swaps have always been a fun way to create a quilt while sewing in community. Currently The Friendship x and + swap and the Supernova Friendship Block Swap are popular, emphasizing not only beautiful quilt blocks but the building of relationships.

Clockwise from upper left: Supernova blocks by Jennifer Under the Juniper Tree, x and + blocks from Live a Colorful Life, x and + blocks from Grace and Favour, Supernova blocks by Sew Sunshine

Half Rectangle Triangles

Made popular by Latifah Saafir’s tutorial on the Modern Quilt Guild site, the half rectangle triangle is a delightfully modern twist on the basic half square triangle we all know and love.

Clockwise from upper left: Cosmic Kites by holly’s red bikeSeeing Red by The QuiltengineerSpears Runner by Teaginny Designs, The Pointy Quilt by Lily’s Quilts

Large or Super-sized Blocks

Piecing quilts made with large blocks, nesting them to increase their overall size and interest, or down-right super-sizing one block into a full quilt is proof positive that bigger can be better!

Clockwise from upper left: Scrappy Rolling Stone (21″ blocks) by The Q and the UNested Churn Dash (24″ block) by Material GirlRed Letter Day (22″ blocks) by gemini stitchesFalling Maple (40″ block) by Miss Print

10 Responses to Quilting Trends with Debbie

1. Nicole says:

This weekend I will be basting my tea leaf quilt – it’s queen sized and has only 16 blocks! They are 22.5″ each. I can’t wait to FMQ each leaf.

2. Tammy says:

I do! And today I even had the pleasure of meeting up with 2 Flickr friends at a local quilt shop!!

3. Debbie says:

Cindy – you are so welcome! I’ve loved watching you and Carla as you swap!

4. Debbie says:

Thanks Tammy! Looks like you love to sew in community, which is an awesome thing!

5. Tammy says:

I’m doing the Postcard QAL, and just finished up Chase’s Pack Patch Mini QAL (well- it’s sashed- waiting to be quilted…). I’m always involved in several swaps on Flickr, including Polaroid blocks, and a birthday swap. Waiting to be assigned a partner for a Strawberry Swap. (And sewing up 30@ key fobs & tissue pack holders for a cancer benefit… and doing a baby quilt for a co-worker) I think that is all, for now. I’m also trying to enjoy the beautiful weather, and gardening!
    Thanks, Debbie, for hosting fun swaps ans QALs!

6. Eliza says:

Friendship looks simmilar to GB flag :) It’s so creative and enjoyable :D Eliza

7. Rosemary B says:

I love all of these !! I am enjoying triangles and HSTs the best
    All of these are beautiful!????

8. Debbie, thanks for highlighting the blocks made by Carla and me. It has been a great exchange and we have had a lot of fun with it!

9. Linda W says:

Your blog is so inspiring! I am so glad the AMB toiur!

10. Marci Girl says:

I love all these trends that are going on now, especially the medallions, I want to make all of those quilts, so beautiful!