How to Make a Crochet Fabric Rug

on August 8 | in Books, Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 9 Comments

Ginger Hendrix from Wienerdog Tricks shows you how easy it is to make a Crochet Fabric Rug in this video, which includes Ginger’s signature style of humor, ease and her awesome make-it-work attitude.

Use yardage that you just can’t seem to find a good use for in your sewing, incorporate your old sheets or find thrifted fabric to make these sturdy, washable rugs. All you need is extra fabric and a large crochet hook (Ginger recommends a P-size hook). Even if you’ve never crocheted before you can easily make these, and an older child would probably have lots of fun with a small version of this project too.

Visit Wienerdog Tricks for more from Ginger, including info on her new book, Time to Make: Throw Yourself at Your Creative Life. Ginger writes,

“You don’t have time. Or space. You might not make any money at it; so why bother making something? Why sew or carve or glue or draw? Because our souls were made to. The steady-hearted place that comes with making seems to still our souls: our hands moving, the hamsters that usually ride stationary bikes in our heads strangely calmed. And that experience is a vastly more important thing to foster than anything we actually produce. Time to Make lobs a question you might need to ask yourself: why wait any longer to grab the creative life you’re meant to have?”

Learn more about the book and check out Ginger crocheting “rugs with strangers” at the recent SLO Maker Faire.

Tell us if you make a rug in the comments!

9 Responses to How to Make a Crochet Fabric Rug

1. Cheryl says:

Love your video. Love your personality. You’ve made this a very memorable project. Thanks.

2. Cheryl says:

I don’t usually comment but just feel the need to say that I love this video. You have one heck of a personality and made this very memorable. Thanks.

3. Jeanette says:

I just gave 11 sets of sheets to Goodwill, never thinking that they would make a good rug. Now I’m going to have to go buy them back, lol. I asked my Mom to teach me how to crochet a couple of weeks ago and I have the single down but couldn’t get how to make more than one row. Maybe this will help! Thanks! Loved the video.

4. Judi Raley says:

Bravo. You could make watching paint dry exciting. I may tear up all my sheets. Just threw a bunch out, darn it! Great talent. More….More….More

5. OH MY GOSH I love her. Thanks for introducing us to Ginger! I want to be her best friend. My son is going to love this project.

6. Vicky says:

Now I want to make a rug! I so enjoyed the video. You are hilarious! I mean that in a good way!

7. Brenda Morris says:

Very informative. I hated to do this using “the math”. You make it so simple. Thank you. <3

8. Willit says:

I agree with Ginger about our need to make things coming from deep in our souls.

Also, I made a crochet rag rug this year, for the first time ever. It was quite fun, and I like how it turned out. I used my finger as a crochet hook :)

9. Jessie Hansen says:

I’ve done this with my husband’s old work shirts. It works great in the kitchen, so thick and cushy while I’m washing dishes! (ps, that’s a single, not a double crochet, at about the 6 minute mark!) Very informative and amusing video, and lady!