Lazy Girl’s Guide to Zip Ends

on September 9 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 15 Comments

Samantha from At Home with Mrs. H writes bag sewing patterns and sells handbag supplies in her shop. Samantha joined us with a Scrappy Heart Zip Pouch earlier this year; she’s back with a simple way to make zip ends for pouches and bags, and now you can make them too!

Find more from Samantha in her introduction, and on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. Due soon with her first child, Samantha’s latest pattern design is for The Nappy Bag!

It all started with a friend of mine posting a photo with her zip ends nicely tucked into a shiny metal cord cap and the realization that there was an easier (lazier!) way to finish zip ends. Thus began a hunt for the aforementioned zip ends which unfortunately ended fruitlessly. Time for some “blue sky” thinking!

Here’s how you can finish your zipped pouch zip ends without the effort and precision of regular zip end tabs.

Requirements:

• Finished zipped pouch (I used Noodlehead’s Open Wide Pouch tutorial.)
  • 1” (25mm) ribbon crimp end
  • 1 x jump ring
  • 1 x metal charm (or 4”– 10cm– piece of very thin ribbon)
  • Pliers
  • Scrap of fabric to cushion the pliers

Because these ribbon crimp ends are so popular with jewelery makers, they should be pretty cheap and easy to find. I purchased a pack of 10 for £1.99.

Instructions:

1. Cut the zip end around 1” from the pouch using pinking shears.

2. Insert the zip end into the ribbon crimp end making sure it’s straight

3. Using the scrap of fabric to protect the crimp end, use the pliers to press down on the crimp end closing the teeth. This may need to be done in a couple of sections to ensure it’s closed down tightly on the zip tape.

4. Add a metal charm onto the jump ring and then clip onto the ribbon crimp end, closing the jump ring with the pliers.

5. For an alternative look, ribbons make a great bow when tied through the crimp ends.

6. Make a few pouches with the extra energy you have saved from not making fabric zip end tabs!

15 Responses to Lazy Girl’s Guide to Zip Ends

1. Sue PlATZ says:

What a great way to end the zippers…love it

2. allison says:

Loved this – gorgeous end to a zipper!

3. You mean that ribbon crimp end has a little loop in it? This is brilliant. Love the look of that little charm!!

4. Samantha says:

Hi Kat,

They really are easy to come by in most craft shops, on ebay, etsy, jewellery supply stores. I couldn’t believe how cheap they were too! x

5. lynda says:

This is great thank you

6. Nancy says:

Genius! Love it, and the wonderful bags you’ve made! I’m going to make one for a friend now. 🙂

7. Shirlene says:

Such a great use for the crimps. Glad to see another use beside on a key ring. It also dressed up the bag.

8. Krista says:

Thank you, Samantha, for this wonderful idea. I had no idea these little things existed, but after reading this, I found out that JoAnn Fabrics here in the U.S. carries them–and Hobby Lobby carries some, too, but they are about half the width. They could be used for other projects, though! Cool! 🙂

9. Kat Skinner says:

They look amazing. I’ve never seen ribbon crimp ends before, so I had no idea they existed. Any tips on the best place to buy online?
    Thanks for taking the time to write the excellent tutorial.

10. Sandra :) says:

I thought the inspiration might have come from Maria’s bags – I see I wasn’t the only one to think so, lol! This is a FANTASTIC “Macgyver” for those zipper ends she gets (that I can’t find), and adding a charm is a great touch – thank you!

11. Dchock says:

I just love your creativity. I need to find me some of those ribbon crimp ends!

12. This is amazing!! I’m ordering some now 🙂

13. Susie says:

This is AWESOME! I have always hated making those ends, because it was hard to get the stitches to look pretty and even! And it is a great way to add that personal touch with a charm or ribbon!
    I love this idea, Samantha!!

14. wendy says:

good thinking Samantha! Maria sent me some of the cord ends but I’ve yet to make a zip pouch to put them on!

15. Brilliant! I use these in jewelry making already! Seeing them used for zipper ends is a brilliant idea!