The Quilts of QuiltCon 2015

on March 3 | in Quilting, Reporting From... | by | with 15 Comments

Eight days later, I think I’ve finally recovered and caught up from my trip to Austin for QuiltCon 2015. It was a wonderful experience–I had three great classes, sat in on some amazing lectures, and connected with lots of old and new friends. With all the class prep and plan-making, the actual quilt show wasn’t at the forefront of my mind, which is unfortunate because I feel like I didn’t give it enough time. I probably spent about 5 hours on the show floor during lunches and before I flew out, but I regret not giving it a little more time. Word to the wise–if you plan to attend QuiltCon in Pasadena or Savannah, give yourself at least a half day to walk the floor. My days were filled with classes and lectures so I had to squeeze the quilts and vendors in, but next time I’ll schedule it in.

Luckily, I had my camera with me so I did my best to photograph as many quilts as I could so I could share them with you. I’m sure you’ve seen many of them already, on the QuiltCon blog, on Instagram, and on other blogs, but they are all well-worth another look. The quality of the quilts was mind-blowing. I’ve been editing these photos for days and every time I look at them I’m inspired by something new. I didn’t photograph all the quilts, but I didn’t make any editorial decisions either. The quilts that are not represented here are missing because I got lost in the maze of the show floor, there were too many people in front of a quilt, the photo quality was awful, or I wasn’t able to document the maker. I hope you enjoy looking at these as much as I do! If you don’t want to watch the slideshows (about 50 photos each), you can also see the photos in this album on Flickr. Please let me know in the comments if I’ve made any documentation errors.

15 Responses to The Quilts of QuiltCon 2015

1. Carol Y says:

I really, really, really appreciate this! I know how much work it must have been for you. I usually try to search out the most complete collection of photos after a convention, because I want to see ALL the quilts! This is not only one of the largest collections, but your photos are amazing. I can see so much detail. THANK YOU.

2. Deborah F says:

I’ve seen lots of photos online but your slideshows contain many quilts that haven’t shown up before, which is great! I just want to say that Churn Dash II: Complementary was pieced by Martha Peterson, Deborah Ferguson and Chandra Wu. (The caption makes It kind of sound kind of like only two of us pieced it.) Thanks!

3. Beth says:

I thought I saw the whole show. About 25% of the quilts in your videos I missed. I guess the floor plan was more confusing than I thought. Thanks for putting together the videos.

4. DEBORAH says:

Thanks for posting…such inspiration and loveliness!

5. Wendy says:

Thank you for sharing. The designs of most of these quilts are amazing!

6. rightpattern says:

Thanks for sharing. It is a huge opportunity for non American to see a lot of quilts.

7. Patricia Cash says:

Thanks for sharing the pictures. love looking at quilts!

8. Heather says:

Thanks heaps, I really enjoyed seeing all these amazing quilts.

9. Thank you so much for the videos, it’d be a great experience to go! The variety and skill in the quilts is wonderful, they must have been even more beautiful close up! Maybe one day I’ll get to go 🙂 x

10. Margaret says:

Thank you for posting these. There are so many quilts in these slideshows that I hadn’t seen photos of. I just want to point out the the quilt with the big white X that appears around 2:17 in Set 2 is “The Big X” (I think that’s the name) by Stacey Sharman.

• Kristin says:

Oh thank you, Margaret! I thought I had removed all the quilts that I wasn’t able to identify, but I’m glad you caught this one.

11. Pauline says:

thanks so much for sharing your photographs of quilts at QuiltCon
    Pauline

12. Judy says:

What a wonderful visual summary of QuiltCon! I didn’t attend but saw many pictures on IG that others shared. This is wonderful, having so many in one place. Thanks for sharing!

13. Peggy says:

thanks for bringing the quilt show to us!!! I haven’t been to QuiltCon, but I am going back to Houston in the fall! I love seeing what new grounds quilters are breaking! Such an exciting time to be quilting! There’s something for everyone! Thanks again and happy quilting!

14. Anne says:

I’m so glad you did this. You’re exactly right about allowing a full day just to take in all the quilts. I had a feeling I hadn’t seen every quilt even though I wandered the show floor several times in bits and pieces and your slide show confirmed that. I saw a few quilts that I had missed. Next time I’ll be more systematic in my viewing. Thanks for including mine in set 3 too. Matrix Booming.