You asked and we are delivering! Two years ago we held the first Super Online Sewing Match (SOSM), our in-it-to-win-it garment sewing contest in which 10 exceptional sewists competed to win a wonderful Janome sewing machine. The first SOSM was one of our favorite events. Not only was it nail-bitingly close, but we were incredibly inspired by our challengers– all women with great skills plus the ability to take a pattern and make it flatter their body and reflect their personality at the same time. This summer we’re kicking off The Super Online Sewing Match II!
(You can find all of our previous Super Online Sewing Match posts here. Our Grand Prize Winner announcement included links to every round in the contest. The winner, Kelli Ward, has put her Janome machine to good use, launching her successful True Bias patterns.)
We’ll tell you all about the Grand Prize package tomorrow, but just a hint– it includes TWO new Janome machines! First we want to tell you a little about how the contest works and invite you to “audition” to be a challenger.
You have 11 days to let us know if you’d like to throw your name in the hat as a challenger. We will select 10 contestants from all entries. We’re looking for great garment sewists of all shapes, ages, looks, etc. who also have good photography skills and are comfortable writing about themselves and sewing. You should have intermediate to advanced sewing skills, or be an ambitious, capable sewist willing to learn things with time pressure. You should feel comfortable modeling each week or have a willing model to show off your work (women’s wear and accessories).
If you’d like to become a challenger you must:
- Be available to sew five projects between June 24 and August 19. If you are going on vacation for a month, it probably won’t work out. If you are taking short trips here and there, it might work. Feel free to email us to talk about it.
- Be able to provide some supplies for your project. All challengers will receive a gift certificate for each round, but notions and add-ons are up to you.
- Live in North America. Janome USA is sponsoring the contest and can only award the prize to a resident of Canada, the US or Mexico.
- Be willing to share photos of yourself and tell your story. We want to get to know you!
- Have a blog, Flickr and/or Instagram account.
- Take excellent photos that show the finished project in detail. For example, we’ll want to see the projects on a person, as well as close-ups of the inside seams, the zipper installation, the hem, etc.)
- Be willing and able to print PDF patterns.
- Be enthusiastic, ready for some hard work and prepared to show off your skills and your creativity!
(We encourage you to read the judges’ comments about the first contest to see what made Kelli stand out.)
How Does the Contest Work?
- Contestants receive their first set of instructions which they have 7 days to complete.
- Contestants post detailed photos of their completed project on their blog or on Flickr.
- Judges eliminate two contestants.
- Contestants receive their second set of instructions which they have 10 days to complete.
- Again, posting of photos and two contestants eliminated.
- Contestants have 9 days to complete the project.
- Two eliminations.
- Contestants have 11 days to complete the project.
- ONE elimination.
- The 3 remaining contestants have 10 days to complete the project.
- Grand Prize winner selected!
Projects + Designers
We won’t tell you the specific patterns, but we can say there will be four garments and one bag. Each round is a little more complex than the previous round. All the pattern designers will be guest contributors on the blog and will each write a helpful post related to their pattern during the contest.
Contestants don’t have to make it to the end to win a fabulous prize! For each round they advance they’ll win gift certificates from our generous fabric store sponsors. (Look for more about our sponsors next week!)
You can play along! Even if you’re not one of the 10 main contestants, you can sew and submit your photos to win great prizes. You can participate in one round or all five, and you don’t have to sew the same pattern. If the round is focused on a skirt pattern you can sew any skirt and enter to win. We’ll have lots more information about this part of our match coming up soon, so watch the site for details.
How To Audition
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line SOSM (Super Online Sewing Match) by Sunday, June 21 at midnight PST.
- Link to at least three photos of garments and/or bags you’ve made.
- If you have a blog, website, Facebook business page, active Instagram account, etc., send us links. We’d like to get to know you a bit via social media.
- Tell us why you think you should be selected as one of the 10 contestants.
- We’re looking for style, a love of fashion, enthusiasm for garment sewing… Fun!
Our friends at Janome have agreed to sponsor the Grand Prize Package– A Janome Skyline S5 Sewing Machine and a Janome 1110DX Pro Serger! We’ll post more about this great prize package tomorrow, but we thought you’d like to know the combined MSRP for these two machines is $2398! You could do a lot with these two gorgeous, new machines!
We hope to hear from you! Please send your information by Sunday, June 21 at midnight PST.