Competition in Round Three of the Super Online Sewing Match II was intense, and our judges had their work cut out for them this past weekend. As we progress in each round it’s increasingly difficult to make those tough decisions about who should advance. As our judge Michelle wrote, “…Everyone did a fantastic job with their totes. The fact that you see up close what the bag looks like doesn’t even help you with eliminations. I didn’t even see any spare threads, crooked seams, nada, nothing, zilch! The contestants are on their “best sewing behavior,” as I like to call it. You know you have to show it so it has to be your best work, and they are pulling out all the stops.” We wish Tanya and Michelle all the best and say goodbye to them in this round. Each of these sewists imbues their designs with style and skill we aspire to, and we will certainly follow their sewing adventures on their respective sites from here on out!
Shannon from Adventures of a Young Seamstress
- From Jenny: “I adore Shannon’s fabric choices for her tote; it looks sophisticated and chic but still young and fun! The adaptation of the front pouch was also inspired… It adds a twist to the bag without looking crafty. I could easily see this being sold in stores!”
- From Rochelle: “I can’t believe this is Shannon’s first bag. Ever! I love her classic color palette and her design modifications; the convertible straps are so clever. Shannon took all of the ingredients for great sewing (like matching stripes and seams, making all the right style changes, choosing appropriate fabrics, etc.) and used that to create a really beautiful, well-made bag. Knowing how to carry old skills over to brand new projects is a big part of what being a good, well-rounded seamstress is all about.”
Teresa Behr from Dandelion Drift
- From Novita: “Teresa’s bag looks very elegant and simple with careful attention to the details, from the leather straps, rivets and metal zipper. The waxed fabric adds character and durability to the bag.”
- From Rochelle: “Teresa really has an eye for combining textures and colors in a beautiful, cohesive way. I love that her personal style is equal parts utility and esthetic; that’s something I really admire, so it’s not hard to see why I’m drawn to her makes again and again… and again.”
Barbara from Zibergirl Sews
- From Michelle: “The construction and techniques Barbara used on this Caravan tote are fantastic and inspiring. I am an Artsy Fartsy (yep, those are real words… I think) type of gal and this bag screams at me. The art pieces that were used on the ‘front’ of this bag are stunning on their own but all together they make a breathtaking piece of ART! I particularly love that top stitching on the kitty mola. You also get a pop of yellow goodness when you look inside the tote.”
- From Beth: “Barbara’s construction was impeccable, once again. Incorporating the intricate molas into a new and functional piece was inspired!”
Leah from Sew Spoiled
- From Amber: “I really like how Leah patchworked the April Rhodes fabric with the caramel colored leather, adding some interest to the bag.”
- From Michelle: “Leah’s bag is AWE-SOME! I love Aztec and the fact that she did a herringbone treatment to incorporate all the different prints worked well with this bag. Her embroidery accent kept in tune with the overall look of her Caravan Tote. Her treatment on the handles was super impressive. Another AWE-SOME part of her tote was her coordinating pouch which she made into a mini purse/clutch. How super smart as that? I would rock that pouch on a night out with my girls when I didn’t want to carry my big bag.”
Round Three of the Super Online Sewing Match II is sponsored by Fat Quarter Shop. Fat Quarter Shop offers quilting fabrics, fabric precuts, quilt kits, patterns, notions and more. They also offer a wide range of exclusive kits, clubs and block of the month programs. Fat Quarter Shop specializes in major brands such as Moda Fabrics, Cotton + Steel, Riley Blake Fabrics, Windham, Robert Kaufman, Art Gallery, Marcus Brothers, Lakehouse and Northcott. They also carry the largest online selection of fat quarter bundles!