Teach a Friend to Sew— New series from Lucky Spool + Sew Mama Sew!

on September 14 | in Sewing Inspiration, Teach a Friend to Sew | by | with 25 Comments

For  most of our readers, fall means one big thing– back-to-school! Of course learning new things isn’t just for the kids. At Sew Mama Sew, we always think of fall as a time to set new goals, launch new programs, and plan yearly activities. This year, we’ve been inspired by our friend Shea Henderson‘s awesome book, School of Sewing: Learn It, Teach It, Sew Together, published by Lucky Spool Media. Shea is a former public school teacher, a pattern writer, a fantastic advocate for the modern quilting movement, and an incredible sewing instructor. Above all, we appreciate Shea’s enthusiasm for drawing people into the sewing community by making it accessible, making it fun, and making it collaborative. We believe this is a book for everyone with a passion for sewing, including people who want to learn to sew, people who want to share their love of sewing with close friends, and people who have the opportunity to teach sewing skills in the classroom.  In sum, it’s a lot of quality information about how to learn and how to teach sewing skills.

Part of our mission at Sew Mama Sew is to spread the love of sewing far and wide, so we reached out to Shea and Susanne Woods of Lucky Spool Media about collaborating on a series to encourage our readers to TEACH A FRIEND TO SEW! Chances are you know someone who has expressed an interest in sewing, but doesn’t know where to start.  Maybe you’ve thought about teaching them, but don’t know where to start. That’s where this series comes in! We’ll help you start! Over the next six weeks we’ll be posting:

• Weekly themes such as pillows, quilt blocks, and garments. Each theme offers an opportunity for you and your sewing partner(s) to tackle new skills and achieve new sewing goals.
  • Suggestions for what to put in a new sewist’s toolkit.
  • Advice for teaching friends at home as well as advice for teaching in the classroom.
  • A “don’t be nervous” post from the Modern Quilt Guild about what newbies can expect at their first meeting. (Maybe this will be the month you bring a guest!)
  • Virtual merit badges for sewing achievements to send or post on social channels.
  • Link parties each week with chances to win great prizes including books and gift certificates!

We truly hope you’ll join us this month! Encourage friends who don’t sew at all or sew a little to follow along. They’re welcome to use this opportunity to learn new skills with a little external motivation whether they have a sewing teacher or not. For those of you with good skills already, wouldn’t it be a great time to share what you know and TEACH A FRIEND TO SEW?

25 Responses to Teach a Friend to Sew— New series from Lucky Spool + Sew Mama Sew!

1. Lisa says:

My friend comes over to help me all the time. She has let me use and borrow some of her sewing items while I get started. Now I am hooked and am teaching my girls to sew doll blankets and pillow cases. This is so good to learn new things in life and to share the knowledge with others.

2. Cathy Chapman says:

Hello, this is so funny, a girlfriend and I were just having this very same conversation! I used to sew many years ago, made some of my daughter’s baby clothes and some other odds and ends. I loved it! So, I mentioned to her I would like to start up again, but wasn’t sure to start. She has continued to sew and quilt over the years. She moved away many years ago and we have reconnected on FB. If she lived closer, she’s in Alaska, she could teach me and have so much fun at the same time! But, I will go on and re learn anyway! Great idea!

Cathy 🙂

3. Debbie says:

Thank you so much. What a fabulous idea. I have a list of people wanting me to teach them to sew!! Perfect timing. This will make getting organized much easier.

4. Jeanne S says:

A great idea and perfectly timed. Last spring I started teaching a friend’s 11 year old daughter to sew, and am about to add two more of girls in her girl scout troop to our group. I am always on the lookout for simple projects that teach basic skills. I’ll be following closely,

5. Ms. ASL says:

You won’t believe this. A friend of mine just asked me to help her learn how to sew. I don’t feel that qualified to do so. I only make things for myself. Nonetheless, I agreed. We are starting with something easy. I do have the book and another funny thing, when I scanned through the book I saw my sewing machine – The Magnolia. :0). I’m ready to help a friend learn.

6. Chiska says:

This is exactly where I am! I’m excited.

7. Rebecca says:

This is such a great idea! So many friends have sewing machines but are scared of them!

8. Judy says:

This a great idea for those of us for are eager to go ” back to school “! Someday I hope to teach it but right now I need to learn it so thanks for offering these lessons.

9. Judy says:

I hope to get to the skill level to teach it but right now I need to learn skills. This is a great project for those of us who are eager to ” go back to school”!

10. Carolina says:

awesome, just what I need!!

11. Meg says:

I’m looking forward to this series. I’ve been teaching myself to sew and quilt for years from online tutorials and have been wanting to share this with my middle school students, but am not confident enough in my own abilities as a sewists yet to teach it. I will be doing an after school crochet/knitting club again this term, but hopefully will pick up some tips to do a sewing one for the spring.

12. Excellent! I’m in a group of women who recently timidly brought up the idea of sewing. I offered that it happens to be my primary hobby… and now we’re having a get-together just to demystify their machines and show them around a simple commercial pattern. I’m betting most of the afternoon will be showing them how to thread their machines, since that seems to be a major barrier often times. Merit badges would be such a fun ideas. I do have a button-maker, maybe I’ll make a series!

13. Wendy says:

Perfect timing! I have a few friends who have asked for my help and two are coming over on Friday to start learning! Whilst I have confidence in my sewing skills, confidence to teach someone else is altogether different 🙂

14. I love an actionable inspiration. Can’t wait to see the projects!

15. Kellie says:

16. Asheligh says:

I’m definitely teaching myself and my step daughter. 🙂 I’m excited to start!

17. Michelle says:

This is a great idea! My best friend taught me to sew and I’d love to spread the joy!

18. Rhonda H. says:

I’ve just started teaching a beginning sewing class and am looking forward to these posts as a way to make my classes even better. Heading out tomorrow to see if I can locate the book in my local store!!

19. Karlyn says:

I’m definitely looking forward to following this series- can’t wait to get started!

20. Denise says:

I’m so happy to see this! I’ve been dibbling and dabbling at teaching the art of sewing, but felt somewhat apprehensive because I didn’t feel fully equipped to teach. This will be a great boon for me I can’t wait!

21. Becky says:

What a great idea! I had recently told my pastor’s wife that I’d love to share my gift of sewing with a group in a sewing camp and those who overheard said they’d definitely attend. But I don’t know where to start! This book and sewalong will hopefully get me started. Thanks!

22. Jolanda says:

This is a wonderful idea. I am volunteering this season in school to set up a sewing club.
    Hope to make them enthusiastic for sewing. So I will follow.

23. Gia says:

This sounds great!!
    I’ll be following this closely.

24. Jessie Aller says:

I LOVE this idea! !

25. Deanne says:

I have been asked to teach a mother & daughter to sew so this series is perfectly timed