Easy Scrap Bin Tutorial

on February 4 | in Sewing Tutorials + Patterns | by | with 15 Comments

Natalie from Hungry Hippie showed us how to make Rip + Strip Placemats (plus the companion tutorial at Hungry Hippie for a sweet mini-quilt or wall hanging version utilizing the same technique). Now she has an Easy Scrap Bin tutorial so you can organize and use your scraps!

Natalie is at Hungry Hippie, and on Facebook and Instagram. Take a look at all of the wonderful sewing!

Materials:

• 20 Gauge Vinyl (available online or in craft shops)
  • Teflon Foot (or use tissue paper method)
  • Wonder Clips
  • Marking Pen
  • 1 Package Extra-Wide Double Fold Binding

1. Cut two pieces of vinyl (20 gauge thickness, available at Joann Fabrics and online here) 13″ x 13″.

2. Place the two pieces together and clip around three edges. Sew along these edges with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Leave the top open. Use a Teflon foot so there is no sticking, or the tissue paper tip.*

*Tip: If you don’t have a Teflon sewing foot, you can use tissue paper. Just place it on top of the vinyl and sew right over the layers. Rip the tissue away after sewing!

3. All three sides are sewn, so now let’s make the boxed corners! Take the side and the bottom seams and match them together to form the shape pictured.

Use Wonder Clips to hold in place, and measure from the tip of the triangle 3″. Make a mark. Sew on this line, back stitching at the beginning and end.

You MIGHT want to make a little snip in the corner edge to help facilitate this step.

4. Repeat for opposite side and then trim the corners off.

5. Turn right sides out. This will feel weird and a little sticky but no worries, it works. If you are struggling, sit beside a radiator to keep the vinyl warm-ish; it will turn better. Push every little bit of each corner out, you might want to use the end of a knitting needle or a pencil to help.

6. Prepare to enclose the top edge of the container with the binding. I used loads of clips to hold it in place while I sewed along the edge. Make sure to put the slightly narrower edge facing out (toward you) so that both edges are sewn easily at the same time.

That’s it! You are totally finished. Great work!

15 Responses to Easy Scrap Bin Tutorial

1. anna t says:

I use teflon tape on my presser foot. Works well.
    I could use a couple of these for my non-woven cotton scraps…recycled zippers…fabric selvedges and bits of things that will come in handy some day, esp. if I can see them. My woven cotton scraps get stored (hoarded) in 7 and 14 gallon bins, sorted by color. Too late for them.
    I use binder clips ipo those red ones, much less expensive, so I can have more money to spend on fabric!
    Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial.

2. Lara B. says:

Definitely a handy project and a neat way to display pretty scraps!
    I did not know that about using tissue paper… thanks for the great tip and tutorial Natalie!

3. Zoe says:

Wow, they are fantastic! I need to make some of those as that way I won’t keep forgetting what I have stored in random boxes 🙂 Thanks for the fab tutorial.

4. Joanna NY says:

Love this idea! Good thing I have some vinyl…I could make a couple. Thanks for the tutorial.

5. Heather M says:

Awesome tutorial…I want to make these very soon!

6. Heather M says:

You can purchase from JoAnn’s or online at fabric.com…

7. Melinda Meehan says:

These will be perfect to make to hold the fabric salvages I’m saving for a project. They look so pretty it’ll be great seeing them displayed!

8. Suzanne says:

I bet you could use the vinyl from those bags to make these as well.

9. Betty says:

I love these! Brilliant idea. Will make some soon.

10. Brenda Bailey says:

These are great – it really helps to see what you have! Thanks for the tutorial. Where does one get this heavy vinyl stuff?

11. Great idea! Thanks!

12. Linda C. in AZ says:

Love this idea.

I also like to use the zippered bags sheets come in as well as the plastic bins with lids Spring Mix salad comes in at Costco. They nest together nicely with the inverted lid!

13. Erika says:

The tutorial says 13″x13″

14. Hi Caroline! I am so sorry I forgot to put the measurements in here. Any size you choose will work, but mine are 13″ x 13″. I tried 14 x 14 as well, and they were nice but seemed a bit large for my shelf. 😀 Can’t wait to see what you make! Send me a piccy.
    XO

15. Caroline says:

I’m thinking about using a blue/red/green color bias tape on the bags to store my blue/red/green/etc scraps! Any suggestions on what size squares to cut the vinyl?