Who doesn’t need a little extra glitter in their life? Today, Natalie teaches us how to sew a glitter filled zipper case! And, she adds a bit of a confidence boost for those of us needing the nudge to start sewing with vinyl! Read her tips below and be sure to check out her other fun projects at Hungry Hippie Sews.
Hello friends! I’m here to show you how to add instant Glam into your life by sewing this fabulous glitter zippy case with “better-than-Jolie” glitter-filled lips.
If you’re new to sewing with vinyl, now is the time to get it ON. It’s easy—really. All you need is a Teflon sewing foot (aka non-stick foot) and a Can-Do attitude. No special needles are required, no special machine either. Let’s do it.
- Fabric for exterior and lining : two coordinating fat quarters
- 20 gauge vinyl available at craft and fabric shops –A half yard because you’ll want to make more than one case, guaranteed…
- 9” zipper
- Zipper sewing machine foot (very helpful)
- Teflon sewing foot OR nonstick foot (You can also use tissue paper if need be, in between the foot and the vinyl, but I don’t detail that in this tutorial. Google is your friend.)
- SF 101 fusible woven interfacing at least 20” x 20”
- Glitter – at craft shops
- Wonder Clips or clothes pegs
- Regular sewing needle for machine 80/100 is fine
- Lips pattern (Optional)
Note: Seam allowance is approx. 1/2” throughout unless otherwise stated
Cut 2 exterior fabric pieces measuring 9 1/2” wide x 8 1/2” tall, 2 lining pieces, 2 SF 101 pieces, and 2 vinyl pieces at the same measurements.
Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the exterior fabric pieces.
Cut 2 zipper tabs at 3 ½” x 2 ½ “
Trim the zipper to exactly 8 ½” in length and sew across the zipper teeth on each end to keep the ends together.
1. Fold the zipper tab, short ends in, to meet and press. Open and fold each short end back in to meet at the middle crease, press again. Now, fold again so the zipper end can be tucked into the fold and sew across, catching all layers-zipper tab bottom, zipper tape, and tab top. Trim even with the zipper. Set aside.
2. Place the interfaced exterior fabric piece right side up on the work surface. Sprinkle glitter in a random fashion, then carefully place the vinyl piece on top. Place clips around each side to hold in place.
3. Put the Teflon sewing foot on the machine and sew around all sides in a straight small stitch. I use a #2 stitch length.
Repeat this for the other exterior piece. As an option, you can sew a design on the front to “hold” the glitter in suspense rather than letting it move around. On one side of this case, I made wavy lines every few inches to hold the glitter in place.
ADD THE GLITTER LIPS (Optional)
4. Cut 2 pieces of vinyl from the lip template (pattern piece included).
5. Sew around the perimeter of the lips and leave an opening to funnel in the glitter.
6. Sew the opening closed. Add the middle line of the lip by drawing with a pen, then sew slowly right over the pen marking.
7. Place the lip shape centered on the front exterior body piece (with vinyl). It’s easy to find the center if you fold the exterior piece in half making a crease, then again top to bottom and make a crease. Place the lips on the cross mark of these two creases. Put on the Teflon sewing foot. Sew around the lip applique with a satin stitch or straight stitch. Set aside.
**TIP** At this point, I trim these exterior pieces to be exactly even in case the vinyl shifted anywhere. If there are overhanging areas of vinyl, trim those off now.
INSTALL THE ZIPPER
8. Place the zipper right side down onto the exterior, lining up the top edge with one side of the zipper tape. (The zipper tab is facing down.)
9. Place the zipper foot on the sewing machine. Using a ¼” seam allowance, sew along the edge, catching all the layers.
TIP * If this is new to you, sew the zipper to the exterior first, then add the lining after.
See how I’m adding the lining after sewing the zipper to the exterior? It prevents any shifting.
Finger press these layers away from the zipper.
10. Repeat step 9 to add the other exterior side, then the other lining side. Make sure to line up the sides with the first set we added, so one side isn’t off kilter from the other.
11. Press from the lining side if using an iron, to prevent messing up the vinyl. Make sure both sides are away from the zipper, then open the zipper.
FINISH THE BAG
12. Place the exteriors right sides together and use clips to hold in place. (Pins will leave holes in the vinyl.) Place the linings right sides together and pin in place, marking an opening at the bottom of 4” for turning out later. Sew around the entire perimeter, excluding the 4” opening.
13. Turn right side out and sew the opening closed. Push the lining back in place and use a knitting needle or pointy object to push corners out.
The arrow points to the place (on both sides) you will need to push out for a professional look. Be careful so you don’t poke through.
All finished- well done!
As an option, you could always add boxed corners or a different applique shape. Have fun with it.
I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
» Sewing Tutorials + Patterns » Glitter Lips Zipper Case Tutorial