Receive Our Newsletter
. May 19, 2013, 01:58:16 PM
Need help fast? Check out the SMS category list on
. We've covered just about everything; from
sewing for the home
. You might find what you're looking for already covered with helpful tutorials and easy links!
SMS Sewing Forum
on: October 22, 2009, 09:07:07 PM
Create a unique Christmas ornament using favorite fabrics and embellishments from your stash.
fabric scraps: small pieces or narrow lengths work well
bits of fleece or felt
assorted lengths of yarn
embellishments: pieces of ribbon, trim, edging, even tiny buttons, beads, or sequins
hollow glass ornament bulb
ribbon to make a loop for hanging
painter's tape (optional)
1. Remove the top from the ornament and set it aside. If the edges are rough or sharp, a bit of painter's tape placed along the edge of the opening can be used to protect your fingers.
2. Begin filling the ornament with fabric and embellishments. Use the chopstick to gently ease the pieces through the opening of the ornament. The chopstick can also be used to reposition or adjust the materials as you work. Continue to fill the ornament.
3. Remove the painter's tape if necessary.
4. Replace the top of the ornament.
5. Cut a length of ribbon and make a loop for hanging.
6. Tie the loop to the top of the ornament.
Protect the ornament for gift-giving by placing it inside a small box lined with crinkle cut shredded paper. The recipient can later use the box to store the ornament after the holiday season has passed.
Take it a step further...
Save the fabrics from a special project or quilt and then create an ornament using those fabrics. For example, you could make a Christmas ornament filled with the fabrics from a baby quilt.
You can even include a hand written or typed sentiment on a small slip of paper that you've slipped inside the bulb.
The possibilities are endless!
Re: Ornament Tutorial
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:57:07 PM
Your tutorial looks awesome. Great job!
Sew, Mama, Sew!
SMS Sewing Forum
Please select a destination:
=> Sewing Skills and Tasks
=> SMS Sew-Alongs and Contests
=> Sewing Resources
=> Fabric and Notions
=> Sewing Patterns
=> Sewing Machines
=> Look what I made!
=> Central and South America
=> United Kingdom
=> Other Europe
=> Africa and Middle East
=> Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Islands
Powered by SMF 1.1.18
SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Connect With Us