Giveaway Day is a biannual link party when everyone with a blog can run a giveaway and list it on our site. Sew Mama Sew hosts one event in May and one in December. We use a handy link-up system that displays the item you’re giving away and takes people directly to your Giveaway Day post. Giveaways are limited to either handmade goods or sewing and craft supplies:
- Handmade for the Home (quilts, hot pads, pillows, etc.)
- Handmade Bags
- Handmade Baby + Kid Items
- Sewing + Craft Supplies (fabric, patterns, buttons, trims, yarn, etc.)
- Handmade Accessories (hats, scarves, belts, adult clothes, etc.)
When we first started Giveaway Day several years ago it was only one day, but now Giveaway “Day” really lasts a full week! (Although everyone needs to post their giveaway on the first day.) This gives you time to browse through the hundreds of giveaways and enjoy and interact with the participating sites. On the morning of the event, come here to Sew Mama Sew to upload your giveaway photo and link. It’s a great way to give back to the craft community and attract new followers at the same time.
Our next Giveaway Day is December 8, 2014!
Over the years we’ve learned a lot about how to make the event successful. Here are some tips to help you have a positive experience:
Participants benefit because a) they get new readers (many participants end up with hundreds of comments & visitors); b) they get potential shoppers; c) they can experience the joy of giving something they’ve made to a virtual friend. Readers benefit because a) they get exposed to blogs with great ideas; b) they are directed to shops with wonderful items; c) they get the opportunity to win a cool handmade prize!
Show Your Support!
One of the reasons we coordinate Giveaway Day twice a year is to help you find great new blogs to read and to help bloggers find new fans. New bloggers can sometimes feel like they’re writing in a vacuum until people start showing up to comment. Even if you found their blog via a giveaway, a few kind, encouraging words in the comments can mean a lot.
- Your giveaway item must be either handmade (for example, bags, artwork, etc.), or something that can be used for making handmade gifts (for example, fabric, buttons, ribbons, patterns, etc.).
- You need to write a blog post, including a photo of the giveaway item, and ask visitors to comment on that post.
- The link you submit in our Giveaway Day post must be to a blog or public Facebook page (not your personal page.)
- When you link up you’ll be able to choose whether or not you’re willing to ship internationally to a winner.
- Giveaways must remain open for the entire week and winners announced soon after. Prizes must be shipped the following week.
Tips for Success:
- Make it easy for people to enter to win your giveaway. Participants don’t like hoops requiring people to Tweet about the giveaway, become a follower, etc. These tend to frustrate readers and might make them less likely to visit you again.
- Disable word identification (verification tools) for comments or any other spam-filters for the duration of the giveaway and approve comments individually if you’re concerned about spam.
- Include a picture of your giveaway. You’ll need one clear photo when you link to our giveaway posts. Take a good photo in natural light, without clutter in the background to distract from your item(s). People will decide whether to visit based on the photo, so you want the photo to look good. Our link-up system turns photos into square thumbnails so consider how the photo will crop, or create a square image to upload yourself.
- Participants tend to like answering specific questions when they comment on your post. Rather than just a random comment, consider asking readers to tell you their summer plans, a favorite holiday tradition… Something to help people connect in some small way.
- Give yourself plenty of time to enter giveaways on other sites. The only way to win is to play!
Please note that your giveaway is run at your own risk and is your responsibility. If you run your giveaway on Facebook, be sure you understand their guidelines. If you run your giveaway on your blog, be sure you understand the laws regarding sweepstakes and giveaways.